Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.96360°N / 107.2312°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7565 ft / 2306 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Timber Mountain is the highest point in the Caballo Mountains. This small mountain range rises prominently above the east bank of Caballo Lake. The west side of the mountain range is steep, with many cliffs, but the east side is more gradual. The lower slopes of the mountains have typical desert vegetation, but the upper elevations are forested. A road leads to summit area of Timber Mountain, where there are several radio towers. However, the road stops short of the true summit. Timber Mountain is located in the Caballo Mountains Complex. With an elevation of 7,565', Timber Mountain ranks way down on the New Mexico Elevation List. But the new field of Prominence has suddenly made the previously unknown Timber Mountain a more important peak. With a prominence of 2,820', it's big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From the city of Truth or Consequences, drive east on NM Highway 51. The road goes past Elephant Butte Dam, then turns into NM Highway 52. Drive east on NM 52 several miles to this unmarked road junction next to some mailboxes. Turn right onto a dirt road and start driving south. The road is in good condition pretty much all the way to the base of the mountain. Drive south on the main road. Keep going south at all road junctions, and you will eventually find yourself driving next to some power lines. The topo map doesn’t appear to accurately depict all of the roads in this area, but it really doesn’t matter. At some point, you will cross a small ravine with a concrete bottom in it. This is the South Fork of Putnam Draw. Just past the draw is a road junction. Turn right here, and start driving southwest towards Lone Mountain with its radio towers. Just before Lone Mountain, you will reach a road junction. Turn right, and drive north a half mile or so, then turn left at this unmarked road junction. Start driving west towards Timber Mountain. The road steepens as you approach Ghost Tank. This would be a good place to park and start hiking. High clearance vehicles can continue up the steep road all the way to the radio towers.

Once you reach the radio towers, the summit of Timber Mountain is only a half-mile away. Descend 100' southwest to a small saddle, then climb up through the brush to reach the summit.

Red Tape

Timber Mountain is on public land. No passes are required.

Camping

There are no campgrounds near Timber Mountain, but there are several campgrounds in nearby Truth or Consequences.

External Links

New Mexico Prominence Map

Caballo Mountains Complex