Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.71510°N / 114.1044°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 11027 ft / 3361 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jacqueline Peak is located in the heart of the Pioneer Mountains of central Idaho.

This mountain is a beautiful, towering hunk of rock that looms high above Big Basin and the East Fork of the Big Wood River. Its northwest face drops precipitously 2,400 feet presenting an outstanding backdrop for campers in the area. Jacqueline's predominant access point, its southern slopes, rise directly with no intervening foothills from the rugged East Fork Canyon.

Jacqueline Peak shares a 10,600 foot saddle with its northeastern neighbor, McIntyre Peak. The route connecting the two is on rotten rock and involves class IV moves. The basin between the two provides an interesting high alpine atmosphere in an ampitheatre of intriguing Geology.

The peak is unnoficially named for W.A. McIntyre's Wife who, according to Tom Lopez's book Idaho, A Climbing Guide, climbed the peak in 1958 and left a summit register.

Jacqueline Peak is rarely climbed, guaranteeing solitude for those taking a trip to the summit.

Getting There

Access requires a four wheel drive vehicle to the standard route.

From the East Fork Road (in between Ketchum and Sun Valley east of Highway 75) park you vehicle at the spot where the road crosses an unnamed stream leading from the south slopes of Jacqueline Peak, or just below the 8,000' contour line.

Time considerations should allow for an hour to access this spot from either Ketchum or Hailey, Idaho. Augment that time by 240 minutes if traveling from Boise, the regions sole major city.

Red Tape

Usual Idaho National Forest red tape is applicable. Access is greatly severed in winter and the local terrain is highly prone to avalanches.

Check with the Sawtooth National Forest for any seasonal stipulations .

Camping

Both the Federal Gulch Campgrounds and Sawmill Campgrounds are located nearby to the standard route access and provide all usual campground amenities.

Steep and brushy terrain on the East Fork side is inhosbitable for tent camping, while Big Basin is condusive to camping with ample grassy fields and outstanding settings.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.