Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.42170°N / 118.0721°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5604 ft / 1708 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View from Cole Point




Cole Point is a benchmark at the northwest end of the San Gabriel Mountains. It is a commonly climb Hundred Peaks benchmark that was added to their list in 1973. It is a quick hike with great views of Pacifio Mountain, the Emma Mountains, Tehachapi Mountains, and the Southern Sierras in the distance. The peak was burned out a few years back and the plants are starting to fill in this brushy peak once again. It is a good hike to combine with ascents of nearby Emma Mountain, Old Mount Emma, and Mount Gleason. All of which are on the Hundred Peaks List.

Getting There

Take the 210 Freeway to La Canada and take the Anegeles Crest Highway SR-2 exit. Drive north on Sr-2, into the mountains 9.5 miles, reaching a junction with Angeles Forest Highway N3. Turn left and go north on N3 for over 14 miles until reaching Mill Creek Summit. Continue pass Mill Creek Summit for another 4.3 miles where the road crosses a low saddle with a large turnout on the right east side.

Route

Cole Route Map

From the parking area at 4100ft., hike down into the ravine just NE of the parking area and then up the slope going east. A use trail begins a little up this slope and it easy to miss. On my first trip here I missed the ridgeline completely and took the next ridgeline south of this one, it was a bushwhack but not too bad. As conditions are changing the peak can be currently climbed from many directions. Follow the trail to the top of the ridge then turn south and hike over to the firebreak on the eastern higher slopes. Climb up the steep firebreak and reach the northern ridge of Cole. Take the northern ridge, going south, up to the summit of Cole Point.

Roundtrip is around 4 miles with 1500 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions in Angeles National Forest. Here are three of the nearest campgrounds, all of which would be great staging places for peakbagging in the western San Gabriels:
1. Lightning Point Campground, on Mount Gleason
2. Monte Cristo Campground, off of Angeles Forest Highway but south of Mill Creek Summit
3. Mount Pacifico Campground, located on the summit of Pacifico

Cole Point is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.