Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.55340°N / 116.5741°W
Additional Information County: Riverside
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5590 ft / 1704 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View to the northwest






Lookout Mountain #1 is the little prominent peak overlooking the Santa Rosa Summit along SR 74. Lookout has a prominence value of P590. From its brushy summit are deep views of the Peninsular Ranges, especially of Toro Peak. The peak has a interesting mixture of chamise, two types of yucca, ceanothus and many types of cacti.

Getting There

Take the I-215 freeway to the Ramona Expressway. Go east and on the Ramona Expressway until you reach SR 74. Turn left and head east to Mountain Center on SR 74. Continue east on SR 74 for about 14 miles to Santa Rosa Summit. Park near a steel gate on the right or south side of the road.

Route

Lookout Route Map


From the parking spot at 4915 feet go south through the gate and follow the road straight ahead. There are some buildings ahead, when I was there no one was around, not sure of their property boundaries but this is a old Hundred Peaks route so I trusted it. After about 500 feet there is a old road leading to the right follow this until it disappears. To the south there is a firebreak that down to a flat. Hike over to the flat and take the firebreak up. You reach a saddle with a park style bench. Go to the left a take the firebreak up the rest of the way to the summit.


Roundtrip is 1-2 miles with atleast 600 feet of gain.

External Links

Lookout Mountain #1 is on the Hundred Peaks List.

For current conditions go to San Bernardino National Forest.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
bechtt

bechtt - Apr 20, 2009 12:54 am - Hasn't voted

Alternate route

There's an alternate route that uses the PCT and avoids private property. Same elevation gain and about the same distance

Viewing: 1-1 of 1