Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.14300°N / 117.516°W
Additional Information County: Union
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8488 ft / 2587 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Burger Butte is not one of the tallest peaks in the Wallowa Mountains but is still a nice climb, with many route options for getting to the summit. Burger Butte is located in the southwest corner of the Wallowa Mountains of Northeastern Oregon. It is one mile south of China Cap and can easily be climbed with China cap in the same day.
Burger Butte

Getting There

From La Grande, OR travel 13 miles southeast to the town of Union. Follow State Highway #203 from Union and turn left on to Forest Road #7785, travel approximately 3 miles. Turn right onto Forest Road #7787 which leads to the Buck Creek Trailhead. From the Trailhead follow Trail #1944 to upper Cathrine Creek Basin below China Cap and Burger Butte. From here you can chose to climb one or both of these mountains from many routes.
Catherine Creek


Red Tape

A Northwest Recreation Pass is required at Buck Creek Trailhead. Day,Annual, and Lifetime passes can be purchased at Ranger Stations and sporting goods stores throughout Oregon and Washington. Or a self issue pass can be acquired at the Trailhead for $5.00.
Fire Damage

Fires are very common in this area and can lead to road and trail closures. So make sure you call the Ranger District or visit there website before leaving on your trip.

Camping

There are 8 campsites available at Buck Creek Trailhead for first come first serve. the drawback is there is no water. There are also 6 units at the North Cathrine Creek Campground. Follow Forest Road #7785 to its end and the campground. There is no water here either but water can be filtered from the creek. Both sites have a $5.00 charge.

External Links

Wallowa-Whitman National Forest Website