Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.79638°N / 113.9906°W
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11628 ft / 3544 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pyramid Peak is located in the Pioneer mountains of central Idaho. It ranks as Idaho's 38th highest summit according to Brendon's excellent list on summitpost. The standard approach involves a drive into Copper Basin, a hike up the Bellas Lake trail and finally a bit of a scramble to the summit. The presence of a trail part of the way and lakes are somewhat unusual for approaches to the high peaks of Idaho. Pyramid Peak is part of a subsidiary crest of the Pioneers that includes several of Idaho's highest peaks (Standhope, Altair, Big Black Dome, "The Fin"). Views from the summit include the Pioneers, White Knobs and Lost River Range as well as Copper Basin. Its hard to say how often this peak is climbed as the current register was placed in 2006 with only one signature prior to that (from 1997 by the ubiquitous Rick Baugher) remaining in the glass jar on the summit.

Getting There

The standard route is approached via Copper Basin. Copper Basin can be approached from Sun Valley/Ketchum over Trail Creek Summit or from the east north of Mackay. Take the signed road to Wildhorse Canyon/ Copper Basin off the Trail Creek Road. After a mile go left toward Copper Basin. Finally take a right on the Copper Basin Loop road and head south 6 miles to the Bellas Canyon turnout. Turn right and go up a side road about a half a mile to the trailhead. Although there is a lot of driving on dirt roads, it is all well maintained for passenger cars.

Red Tape

No red tape to speak of- this is Idaho.

Camping

There are forest service campsites near trail creek summit and also just past Bellas Canyon at the trailhead for Goat and Betty lakes. There are innumerable informal campsites in the area. You could also backpack into Bellas lakes if you wish.

External Links

www.idahosummits.com
http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/
https://www.summitpost.org/list/170202/Idaho-s-Highest-Peaks.html