Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.13607°N / 71.10111°W
Additional Information County: Canada
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Ice Climbing, Aid Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piquette - pitch 2Piquette
Le Grand Morne is situated near Thetford Mines, Quebec. It's one of the less known rock climbing crag of the province. It houses some very nice climbs, from 30m up to 120m. The 100 or so routes are 100% trad and range from 5.3 to 5.12d.
Grand Morne SunsetSunset from the top
Some of the most classic climbs are Piquette (5.6), la Surprenante (5.5), Pyramide (5.7), la Voie de Boiselle (5.6), le Grand Dièdre (5.5), Cracker jack (5.7), Escalator (5.11a). Be aware that these are old-school ratings, comparable to what you could find in the Gunks.

Getting There

Follow indications to Thetford Mines (route 112). At Robertsonville, follow indications for Sacre-Coeur-de-Marie (Rt. 269). Go straight on this route for about 5km. At the big curve, continue straight on to the gravel road for another 4km. It will then be indicated "Centre de Plein-air Grand Morne". You're there!

Red Tape

You must be an FQME member to climb at Grand Morne.

Camping

Grand Morne CampingTent plateform
You can camp on the top of the mountain. The views are simply amazing from there. However - to reach the camping you must hike for about 15 min on a steep road. From the parking lot, simply follow the main road up the mountain - once on the top, you can't miss the camping. 6 platforms are available, as well as a refuge.

External Links

www.escaladequebec.com
FQME

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.