Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.33390°N / 117.6334°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8505 ft / 2592 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Wright Mountain HP of Blue Ridge  
Wright Mountain is the highpoint of a dominant formation called Blue Ridge. Blue Ridge is the high country link between the Mount San Antonio and Mount Baden-Powell areas. Wright Mountain forms the southern mountainous wall backdrop for the community of Wrightwood. The entire Blue Ridge spine is crossed by the Pacific Crest Trail, from Lytle Creek to Vincents Gap. Wright Mountain can be climbed many ways the most popular being from Guffy Campground. The peak can be a easy 3.5 jaunt or a long trail hike along the PCT. It is a great peak to do in combinations with Benchmark Frost, Circle Mountain, Gobblers Knob, Ralston Peak, Pine Mountain, Dawson Peak, and Mount San Antonio. Wright Mountain is on the Hundred Peaks List of the Sierra Club. Route One is good to combine ascents with Pine Mountain and Dawson Peak. Route Two is good for combining ascents with Gobblers Knob.

Route 1 Guffy Campground

 
Guffy Route  
Getting there: From the I-15 take the SR 138 exit. Turn left and go west on SR 138 to the junction with SR 2. Turn left and go southwest on SR 2 through Wrightwood and to the junction with N4 keeping to left on SR 2. About 2 miles from the N4 junction you will reach a large parking area on both sides of the road. On the left side turnout is the entrance for Blue Ridge Road fireroad. Continue on Blue Ridge Road which passes first through Mt. High Ski Area and then Blue Ridge Campground. Continue pass until you reach Guffy Campground a little over 5 miles from the start. Do not park at a campsite unless you plan on using it that night. There is scattered day parking. Route: Hike to the eastern end of the campground going along a ridge that hits the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). Follow the PCT past a the Acorn Trail Interesction and continue to the high saddle connecting to Wright Mountain. The saddle and summit area thick in trees. Take the a use trail that turns into a old abandoned road. Find the highest point with a large rock cairn near a cliff drop viewpoint. The summit is difficult with all the trees but it is a very finite area overall. Great views of Table Mountain and of Wrightwood. Roundtrip is 3.5 miles with 750 feet of gain.

Route 2 Gobblers Knob- PCT

Getting there: From the I-15 take the SR-138 exit and turn left heading west. Go a little over a mile reaching the intersection with Lone Pine Canyon Road on the left. Turn left and go 5.5 miles looking for dirt road 3N31 on the left just pass gated Clyde Ranch. 3N31 has a small sign post. Take this road for 3 miles reaching a junction at the ridge, turn right. Continue to the end of the road, a little over .5 miles. Park at the turnout. From the parking area go to the east end of the turnout and find the PCT trailhead. Take the PCT for about 4 miles until it reaches the high junction with saddle connecting it to Wright Mountain. Walk through the woods on the use trail and old road bed reaching the summit cairn. Roundtrip is around 8 miles with atleast 2000 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass to park at Gobblers Knob or at Guffy Campground. Adventure Passes are available at many stores in Wrightwood and at the SR-138 Here are some of these locations. Cinnamons Bakery 1350 Hwy. 2 Unit B Wrightwood, CA 92397 760-249-5588 Annual, Daily Wrightwood Mini - Mart Arco 1315 Hwy 2 Wrightwood, CA 92397 760-249-6115 Annual, Daily, Secondary Volunteers Of The Angeles National Forest Grassy Hollow Visitor Center Wrightwood, CA 92397 626-821-6737 Annual, Daily, Secondary Jensens Market 1340 Hwy 2 Wrightwood, CA 92397 760-249-3322 Annual, Daily, Secondary

Camping

Camping information can be found here at Angeles National Forest. The two most logical campgrounds to use along Blue Ridge Road are the lower more western Blue Ridge Campground and the higher more eastern Guffy Campground.

External Links

For current road conditions go to Angeles National Forest and/or San Bernardino National Forest. Wright Mountain is on the Hundred Peaks List. Visit the webpage for the city of Wrightwood for local information. For sking information visit Mt. High Ski Resort. For more information on the Pacific Crest Trail.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
tarol

tarol - Sep 14, 2010 10:38 am - Voted 10/10

No AP needed @ Gobbler's Knob

No Adventure Pass needed to park at Gobbler's Knob

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.