The Blorenge

The Blorenge

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.80060°N / 3.0602°W
Additional Information County: Monmouthshire
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1841 ft / 561 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Blorenge is a distinctive land feature that jutts out of the South Wales head of the valleys. It is that distinctive that it can even be seen as far away as the Birdlip near Gloucester over 40 miles away:-
Blorenge TrigThe Blorenge trig point just below the summit cairn and wind shelter




























This South Wales feature is a spear of land that Jutt's out into the Usk Valley North of the South Wales Valleys.
The Blorenge has no distinctive classifications but its height and its position make it command some fine and spectacular views on the clearest of days.
Its main summit is a Cairn and wind shelter at 561 metres but the official Trig Point is at 559 metres. The Blorenge can be seen from over 40 miles back in England at the Birdlip Viewpoint just off the main trunk A417 Road on the edge of the Cotswolds between Gloucester, Cheltenham and Cirencester.

The main features that can be viewed from The Blorenge are as follows.
In Wales are the summit of Pen y Fan the highest summit on the Brecon Beacons to the West. To the North are the vast rolling summits called the Black Mountains.

In England in a North to North East are the Shropshire Clee Hills and the Worcestershire Malvern's. Far East as stated are the Cotswold Ridge.

Other local shapely Welsh summits that stand out are Sugar Loaf at 596metres and 'Ysgyryd Fawr at 486metres.
These two being local to Abergavenny make good quick local walks.


Getting There

For The Blorenge.
The area to head for is the quaint South Wales market town of Abergavenny.
This town is known as the gateway to South Wales.
Abergavenny:-
All You Need To Know about it from this link:-
ABERGAVENNY TOURISM

Getting To Abergavenny:-

By Road:-
It is an easy Welsh town to find and can be reached by road via the M50 Motorway off the M5 Birmingham to Gloucester stretch. Then the A40 Trunk road all the way to the town.
Or the M4 Severn Bridge from Bristol then the M4 towrds Newport and the Trunk A449 up in a north direction joining the A40 Near Monmouth.

By railway:-
Train services are available From Hereford Bristol and Cardiff.

By Airports:-
There are a number of airports within easy range from Abergavenny.
Birmingham International is the big main airport but there are others at Cardiff International and Bristol International.

From Birmingham head for the M42 Motorway and then head for the M5 and go south for the South West and Worcester. From the M5 head on until the junction with the M50 and then follow as given in the road directions.

From Cardiff head for the M4 and then head east towards Cardiff itself. Once you have reached the junction with the A470 head north for Merthyr Tydfil and then take the head of the valleys road east for Abergavenny.

From Bristol head for the M5 and then head north. When passing the area of Avon take the M49 link motorway towards the M4 cable stayed bridge. This is the M4 on into Wales. The warning is there is a hefty fee at the toll to go into Wales for a car its over £5.00 Once you are in Wales just a short distance on there is a road off to the North called the A449 that heads towards the head of valleys. Once you have reached this take the A40 west signed for Abergavenny.

Accessing Blorenge

To access The Blorenge is such an easy but pleasent walk.
Blorenge Map

The above map gives local details.

There is a car park just off the B4246 Govilon to Blaenavon road heading South. When you get to the top of the road just before it levels out there is a large pond on the left.
Just visible to the left are two South Wales Police radio towers called Cefn y Galchen.
Take a left turn along a rather rough looking road towards these towers and then directly opposite them to the left is another car park.
From this car park the summit of Blorenge is only a 20-30minute walk away.

The more interesting way can be from down in the Usk Valley near the town of Abergavenny itself.
There are car parks also plenty of footpaths from near the villages of Govilon and LLanfoist that access up through the woods onto the summit of Blorenge and the ascent is of course alot more metres.

Red Tape Safety and Weather

The Blorenge falls within the Brecon Beacons National Park.
There free to rome rule applies throughout the park.

Camping is also allowed around the area being in the national park but a no camp fire scheme is in place.

Abergavenny has loads of Bed and Breakfast, Hotels etc and makes a great town to base yourself from when doing The Blorenge and any of the Brecon Beacon or Black Mountain Summits.

Weather wise like anywhere can change quick but The Blorenge is not quite the type of summit to actually get lost on.
The paths are well defined and the routes on and off the summit are quick and easy.
The local weather is on this link Abergavenny Weather.