Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.82430°N / 106.8486°W
Additional Information County: Routt
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10824 ft / 3299 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Farwell Mountain is a prominent peak located near Hahns Peak, north of Clark and Steamboat Springs, Colorado. While it stands only 15 feet lower than Hahns Peak, it is less well-known as a hiking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing destination. Because 4wd Jeep trails weave to the top, it is especially good for skiing in the winter, and biking in the summer. Farwell Mountain Trail, as well as the various 4wd Jeep trails up the mountain, provide a variety of options for all seasons. During the summer months, however, hikers are encouraged to hike the Farwell Mtn. Trail, as ATV traffic uses the roads.

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS FORTHCOMING...




Farwell Mountain from Pearl Lake

Getting There

Farwell Mountain Trail #1203: 4.2 miles to junction with Rd. 409.

From Steamboat, take Highway 40 approximately 2 miles and then turn right on Elk River Road (County road 129). Follow 129 for 32 miles and turn right on Forest Development Road 550, just past Columbine. Drive 550 for 2.5 miles and turn right. After turning, drive another 1.5 miles and turn onto FDR 402. This road is generally only manageable in a 4wd vehicle, so please take proper precautions. The Farwell Mountain Trailhead #1203 is one mile up the road. The trail begins at 8,760 ft. and ends at 9,400 ft, at Hinman Creek. To summit, turn east on Farwell Mountain Rd. (409), bend south with the road until you pass an unnamed point (10,614). Take another turn east, and then bend with the trail back south to the obvious summit, which overlooks Pearl Lake.
Farwell Mountain from Hahns Peak

Red Tape

Please note that ATVs are not allowed on the whole length of this trail. From the north end the trail starts off wide enough for ATVs for 1.5 miles until the intersection of the Manzanares trail. Beyond this point ATVs are NOT allowed. The trail turns into a narrow single track that traverses up a steep, wooded side hill for another 1.5 miles. When it reaches the ridge it opens up and goes through meadows ending up on the FDR 409. To avoid ATV traffic, take Farwell Mtn. Trail to the 409 junction.
Farwell Mountain from Pearl Lake

Camping

"All National Forest lands are open to camping unless otherwise posted. The advantages to this type of camping are many: peace, solitude, and adventure. There are, however, a few 'drawbacks'. You'll need to have a fire permit, bring your own water or purify water from lakes, streams, or springs. Be sure to make your camp at least 100 feet from all water sources. Since there are no toilet facilities, please dig a hole at least six inches deep for disposal of your human waste." - USDA Forest Service

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sierra MadreMountains & Rocks