Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.26100°N / 116.9713°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 7920 ft / 2414 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gorgonio to Grays




Grays Peak is a high forested knob that overlooks the west end of Big Bear Lake. The Grays Peak trail is one of the most popular hikes in the Big Bear area. Grays Peak is named after the nearby Grays Landing. The Grays Peak trail is one of the most shaded in the area making it a great summer hike. Grays Peak is on the Sierra Club's Angeles Chapter's Hundred Peaks List. Grays Peak is a good hike to combine with hikes to other nearby Hundred Peak listed summits. Some of this peaks are, Butler Peak, Little Bear Peak, Delamar Mountain, Arctic Point, Crafts Peak, Bertha Peak, and Gold Mountain.

Getting There

Grays Peak turnoff

Take the SR-30 through the San Bernardino area heading north to the mountain resorts. Take the SR-330 up into the mountains to another junction in Running Springs with SR-18. Take the SR-18 to Big Bear Lake. At the Big Bear Lake Dam a junction with SR-38. Go left on SR-38 as it rounds the lake for a few miles until raching the Grout Bay Pinic area on the right. Across the road on the left is the signed Grays Peak trailhead and parking area.

Route


At the northend of the parking area is the marked trailhead. Hike up this well maintained trail as ascends through the forested slopes of Grays. The trail terminates just short of the true summit at a viewpoint. The true summit is just west of the viewpoint about 50 feet or so away.

Watch out for mountain bikers this is one of the most popular routes in Big Bear.

Round trip is 6 miles with 1200 feet of gain.




Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

The Grays Peak trailhead is closed from November 1st to April 1st due to the nearby breeding area for Bald Eagles. Sometimes this closure can last longer due to the expected habits of the Bald Eagles.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions go to the San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions website.

Grays Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

For more information on mountain biking in the Big Bear area check adventurehostel.com.