Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.57407°N / 77.59764°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 1800 ft / 549 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Rocks
Black Rocks from Interstate 70
West
The view west over the Great Valley

Black Rock Cliffs are found along the ridge of South Mountain along the Appalachian trail in Maryland. Striking views to the west are found here as the cliffs rise to an open over look approx 1200 feet above the Cumberland Valley below. The entire Appalachian Trail in Maryland runs a little over 40 miles along the ridge of South Mountain from Pennsylvania to the Patomic River. Most of the hiking is easy once you are on the ridge itself. The trail is well maintained by the Patomic Appalachian Trail Club.

Getting There

Black Rock
Looking Northwest

From the south a trail head parking area is located along US 40 to reach this From the east, on I70, take the Meyersville exit. Turn right onto Wolfsville Rd (MD 17) in the center of Myersville, then turn left on US 40 There is room for about 20 cars at two pullovers just before US 40 crosses over I-70. From the parking area cross over an embankment and follow the closed section of the old highway. At the end of the highway take a left and a path along the gaurdrail. You will descend sharply to the footbridge that crosses over I-70. At the footbridge turn right and follow the fence line along I-70 west. Follow the AT approx 3.2 miles to side trails marked Black Rock Cliffs views. 

Under US 40

A longer route from the north can be reached by parking at Wolfville Rd (MD17). From I-70 take exit 35 and proceed north on Myersville rd. After 4.8 miles turn right on MD 64 and in 1.2 Miles turn right on Foxville Rd. Another .2 miles turn right on Wolfsville Rd and go 1.4 miles to the AT crossing and another .1 miles to a small parking area on the left. Enough room for 3 cars. Hike back to the AT and hike south 5.3 to the side trails to Black Rock Cliffs.

Red Tape

Camping and open fires are only permitted at established camping areas and with existing fire rings.

 

Camping

Pogo

Camping can be done at Pogo Memorial Primitive Campsite which is located along the trail .7 miles north of the cliffs. Also .5 miles from the start of this trail from the south (I-70) is the Pine Knob Shelter and a spring for water.  

Pine Knob Shelter

As well camping is found at Annapolis Rocks 1 miles south of Black rocks along the trail.

Links

White Blaze.net
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Patomic Appalachian Trail Club
South Mountain State Park