Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.69599°N / 77.51333°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 1800 ft / 549 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

High RockView from High Rock




High Rock is located just off the Appalachian Trail in Northern Maryland on South Mountain. It is a popular hang-gliding site. There is a paved road that leads from Pen-Mar Park to High Rock that is gated from dusk to 9 AM. It has spectacular views on a clear day.

Getting There

Rock formationsRocks near the top
From Interstate 70 at exit 35 take MD 66 North to Cave Town. Turn right on MD 64 and continue north to MD 418 (Ringold Pike) turn right at this intersection. Immediatly after crossing into Pennsylvania turn right on Harbaugh Church Rd. A short distance later turn right on Old Pen-Mar Rd. The Appalachian Trail will cross the road with limited parking just past the trail.

It can also be hiked from the South via the Appalachian Trail starting at Raven Rock Hollow Rd (MD 491). This road can be found a few miles North of Cave Town on MD 64. However there is no parking available where the trail crosses the road other than along the road side.

The only access to High Rocks other than the drive up High Rock Road is via the Appalachian Trail from the north or south. The trail going either way is steep in spots (the most elevation change anywhere in Maryland along the Appalachian Trail) but once on the ridge the walking is easy. The hike from the south although longer is not as steep.

Red Tape

Camping and open fires are only permitted at established camping areas and with existing fire rings.

Camping

Devils RacecourseThe Devils Racecourse
Devils Racecourse ShelterDevils Racecourse Shelter
The closest camping area is the Devils Racecourse Shelter area approx 2 miles south of High Rock on the Appalachian Trail, but it is well worth the extra walk to see the Devils Racecourse. The Devils Racecourse is large boulder field in the middle of the woods and incredible to explore. The shelter has a spring and a privy.

External Links

White Blaze.net
Appalachian Trail Conservancy
Patomic Appalachian Trail Club
South Mountain State Park