Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.28310°N / 116.8992°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8201 ft / 2500 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pine trees near the Cougar...



Bertha Peak is a prominent peak that stands watch over the central northshore of Big Bear Lake. It has a prominence value of P641. Bertha Peak is also on the Sierra Clubs Hundred Peaks Section list. Bertha Peak is a medium length hike that can be combined with hikes to other Hundred Peak listed summits. Some of this peaks are, Butler Peak, Grays Peak, Little Bear Peak, Arctic Point, Crafts Peak, Delamar Mountain, and Gold Mountain.



Getting There

Overview Map of the area....

Drive east on I-10 to I-215. Drive north on I-215 to SR 30. Drive east on SR 30 to SR 330. Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs. Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR 38. Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin. The trailhead is located 2 miles East of Fawnskin at the Discovery Center. There is a well marked parking area.

Route: Cougar Crest Trail

Cougar Crest Trail

From the trailhead hike up the trail, at this point a old logging road bed. Follow the trail for over 2 miles trough Pinyon & Juniper woodland. At the trail intersection with the Pacific Crest Trail turn right. After about .5 miles you cross a old road. Turn right on this road and hike up to the summit. At the summit is a enclosed radio tower station. On the western end of the station is the Hundred Peaks register.

Round trip is 6.5 miles with 1500 feet of gain.

There is no water on this route. This is a sunny route so bring sun protection.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions go to the San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions website.

Bertha Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Contact Info

U.S. Forest Service (909)-866-3437 Big Bear Discovery Center (909)-866-3437 Located on North Shore Drive, Highway 38 Big Bear Lake, California Fax: 909-866-1781 Mailing Address: P.O. Box 66 Fawnksin, CA 92333 Mill Creek Ranger Station (909)-794-1123

Maps

Patrick Follet has a fine topographical map based on USGS 7.5 min quads available at the Discovery center. I believe it is mostly used by mountain bikers but has all the local access roads and trails well marked. Big Bear Trail Maps Produced by Pat Follett of Team Big Bear, this comprehensive map of trails and Forest Service roads in the Big Bear Valley includes a unique 3-D version highlighting the altitudes of the mountains surrounding Big Bear Lake. Send check or money order for $2.95 (+$1.00 for shipping) with your name and mailing address to: Patrick Follett P.O. Box 3765 Big Bear Lake, CA 92315

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
phydeux

phydeux - Sep 23, 2009 10:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Correction for the trailhead

The Cougar Crest Trail starts at its own parking lot about 1/2 mile west of the Discovery Center. There is a trail that goes between both, so you could use the Discovery Center as an overflow lot (the CCTrail lot gets filled quickly on weekends).

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.