Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.37210°N / 117.806°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8396 ft / 2559 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview: Easy 8,000 Footer

Mount Lewis has the all the advantages of a relatively high San Gabriel range peak coupled with easy access. There is essentially only one route to the top and that is a ½ mile ridge ascent with 500 feet of gain. There is a use trail that passes through a forest of Jeffrey Pine providing shade all the way.

From the summit, you get grand views of the Antelope Valley and, to the south, neighbor Throop Peak beckons. In fact, you will always want to combine Mt. Lewis with one or more other peaks in the broad vicinity including Throop, Mt. Burnham, Mt. Baden-Powell, Mt. Hawkins or other peaks on the Hawkins Ridge or Copter Ridge.

 
Looking NW from Summit of Mt. Lewis (8,396 )
Looking NW from summit of Mt. Lewis, 7.7.07

 
Throop Peak (9,138 )  seen from summit of  Mt. Lewis (8,396 )
Looking south at Throop Peak (9,138') from summit of Mt. Lewis, 7.7.07
















The peak is named after the first Superintendent of Yosemite National Park who worked in the San Gabriels in the early 1900’s. Mt. Lewis made it on the original 1946 Sierra Club Hundred Peaks List.

 

From Dawson Saddle, find the use trail just to the left (west) of a maintenance building on the south side of the road. The bank of the slope is pretty steep at first but soon you will get to the top of a ridge. Proceed north along the ridge to the summit.

Getting There

Take the SR 2 exit from the 210 freeway in La Canada and drive north 46 miles to Dawson Saddle.  There is a parking area just past Dawson Saddle.

Mt. Lewis (8,396 ), San Gabriel Mountains
Mt. Lewis looking north from trail to Throop Peak



Note that, during the winter, SR 2 is generally closed between Islip Saddle and Vincent Gap.  However, you can hike the 4.5 miles from Islip Saddle to Dawson Saddle.

No permit is required for hiking to this mountain. However, you will need an Adventure Pass to park your car at Islip Saddle. You can purchase one ($5 per day or $30 for a yearly pass) at some ranger stations or forest visitor centers or at most Southern California sporting goods stores.

Camping

There are no developed campsites in the immediate vicinity of Mt. Lewis. The nearest developed campground is Little Jimmy Campground, 2.1 miles from Islip Saddle. Alternatively, you can find your own spot anywhere in the area. No permit is required. Observe fire restrictions and LNT ethics.

Mt. Lewis (8,396 ), San Gabriel MountainsMt. Lewis looking north from trail to Throop Peak

When to Climb

Mt. Lewis is accessible year round for the most part. During the winter, bring appropriate gear. Crampons and ice axe may be necessary.

Mountain Conditions

Check with Cal Trans (see link below) on road conditions and closures during the winter.

Other Information

USGS Topos Crystal Lake 7.5

External Links

California Dept. of Transportation
Adventure Pass Information
Angeles National Forest










Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.