Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.35675°N / 105.57552°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8906 ft / 2715 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking over the edgeLooking Down

Eagle Cliff is a low-for-the-area peak just inside the east boundary of Rocky Mountain NP near Estes Park. It’s remarkable not for its height but for its prominence - - it’s a stand-alone mountain between Estes and Moraine Parks (see picture), giving you great 360 views of the lower-lying areas of the park.
Longs Peak in Morning LightLongs from ascent

I’d recommend it for (1) flatlanders who want to acclimate with an easy climb; (2) parents with kids; or (3) anyone’s “first climb” - - it feels like a mountain because of the views, and you’re off marked trails. But note that it’s easy, about a half-mile from its base and with only 1000 feet of elevation gain no matter where you’re coming from.

There are two basic routes, both easy class 2. For the northwest slope from the Museum parking lot, see Lisa Foster’s Hiking Guide to RMNP. I’ve attached a description of the south route.



Getting There

From Estes Park, go to the Museum across the Bear Lake Road from Moraine Park for the northwest route.

For the south route, see the route page as there are three ways to get there, two of which start outside the park.
Looking West from Eagle Cliff at SunsetLooking West from the Summit at Sunset




Red Tape

There are the usual RMNP entrance fees unless you walk in from the YMCA or historic entrance for the south route. See the route.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.