Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.95700°N / 107.3439°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12821 ft / 3908 m
Sign the Climber's Log

San Juan Range Overview

The San Juan Range is the largest mountain range in Colorado. It dominates southwestern Colorado. In Colorado, the San Juans are second in snowfall only to the Park Range. The San Juan Range is home to 516 ranked peaks above twelve thousand feet.
Grassy Mountain
Grassy Mountain from the 13811-Grassy Mountain Saddle

Grassy Mountain Overview

Grassy Mountain is located 2.3 east of the centennial thirteener 13811. Grassy Mountain is the highest of three Grassy Mountain’s in Colorado, hence the A. Grassy is the 768th highest peak in Colorado and the 131st highest twelver in the state. Grassy Mountain is rarely climbed. A new summit register left by Jennifer Roach on June 14, 2005 was signed by only one other party prior to July 29, 2007. When Grassy is climbed, it is usually by its west ridge. Grassy Mountain’s west ridge can be accessed many ways: Williams Creek Trailhead, Silver-Grizzly Gulch Trailhead, Lake San Cristobal Trailhead and Alpine Gulch Trailhead. Starting at the Alpine Gulch Trailhead appears to be the easiest approach and is described below.
Grassy Mountain
Grassy Mountain from the Southwest. Photo: RyanS

Getting There

From the Second Avenue-CO 149 intersection in Lake City, CO, drive 2 blocks west on Second Avenue. Turn left onto Henson Creek Road (CR 20). Drive 2.6 miles west to the Alpine Gulch Trailhead at 9,000 feet. There is a parking area on the north side of the road just east of the trailhead.
Grassy Mountain s West Ridge Alpine Gulch Approach
Grassy Mountain’s West Ridge Alpine Gulch Approach Route. Click to enlarge.

Descend 0.1 miles south on the Alpine Gulch Trail, cross Henson Creek on a bridge at 8,900 feet, hike 2.1 miles south, turn south onto the Williams Creek Trail, hike 3.1 miles south on the Williams Creek Trail to the 12,460 foot 13811-Grassy Mountain saddle. From the saddle hike an additional 0.3 miles to the summit. This is rated as Class 2.

Camping

Camp at the trailhead.

External Links

Lists of John


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.