Crescent Mountain, Jefferson County, Colorado

Crescent Mountain, Jefferson County, Colorado

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.89300°N / 105.3136°W
Additional Information County: Jefferson
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8945 ft / 2726 m
Sign the Climber's Log

A steep, sustained scramble up one of JeffCo's 98 ranked peaks

This little peak has many different facets available, and ridges connecting it to two other peaks - Coal Creek Peak and "Jack's Peak". The summit of Crescent can be attained by going up and over one of these other peaks first, but it is a long, fairly slow ridge due to tree cover and broken terrain. Those routes primarily keep it at class 2-2+, while ascending the SE face/ridges can range anywhere from 3 to low 5th to upper 5th for sections, although in broken pieces and ridges. There are no formal trails, no "climber's trails", and no published routes on this peak. It is a peak that allows you to decide your own way to the top. Bring some sticky shoes.

It should be noted that the majority of this peak lies within Jefferson County Open Space, but some parts may be private property. It is always best to check and see (by reviewing local maps) where property lines lay.

The intent of this peak's individual page isn't to provide a specific "route to the top", but to provide info about the peak and an available access point, my experience on the peak itself, objective info about the peak (rock, false/summit, general route, etc.) It should also be said that there are no trails anywhere on this peak, which is part of the appeal. I know of no other published route descriptions nor access points for this peak published anywhere; indeed, the beauty of this peak is to be appreciated by the few scramblers interested in a "low" peak for a quick fix of scrambling and solitude.

Just as a side note, the bulk of the route takes up about .9 miles and you gain 2200' vertical. It is steep. Total round trip is about 2.25 miles.

People not familiar with Jefferson County will likely not have much interest in this peak, but it is worth the effort.

Getting There

From Denver, take I-70 west to Hwy 58 west. Take this to Hwy 93 north. Turn west on Hwy 72 (Coal Creek Canyon). Drive in about 4-ish miles to a turnout on the north side large enough for 10 cars or so. This is directly below the SE face.

Red Tape

None.

The creek crossing can provide wet feet, depending on flow.

Camping

Camping is available in Golden Gate Canyon State Park to the south, and also White Ranch Open Space Park.

External Links

Peak info

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 2, 2022 8:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Updated Easiest Route to the Summit

FYI there is a fairly good trail that leaves from the "Chapel in the Hills" parking lot a bit further up Coal Creek Canyon. It is 2.1 miles to the summit. The starting elevation is approximately 7,565 feet. The trail is small, but there has been some work done on it, and there are cross markings on the rocks to keep you on track. There is a rock cairn and lookout with good views of the Continental Divide 2/3 of a mile and 700 feet up. From here the trail is clear and continues another 1/3 of a mile up to a saddle just above 8500 feet. This first mile is all contained with Coal Creek Canyon Park from what I can tell/see/read on maps. After this the trail gradually becomes less clear as you climb a ridge and skirt around the right (south) flanks of a false summit, before a fun ridge hike and scramble combo for 1/2 mile to the summit. Good views of all of the Front Range 14ers and the Continental Divide from the top! Full stats: 4.2 Miles, 2,116 feet climbed (1700ish up, 400ish back) Took me 1 hour from car to summit, and 37 minutes down with a combination of power hiking, easy running, and scrambling.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.