Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.83463°N / 0.11467°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10141 ft / 3091 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Massif of NéouvielleNéouvielle massif

NéouvielleEast face

Néouvielle (3,091m) is the most known peak of the “Reserve Naturelle de Néouvielle”, the important natural park of the area. It’s the highest summit of its massif but in the park is also the massif of higher Pic Long (3,192m). Because the normal route is easy (with only some rock climbs of grade I in the final part, grade F), it's the most popular peak of all the park and in summer is normal to see a lot of people walking the route. In spite of it some parts of the route are a little confused, it don't exist path in many zones with a lot of stones in summer… for this reason it's necessary a little of experience in mountain. It's not a hike but the hikers can climb generally without problems following to other mountaineers. It's probably one of the better option to discover the "high mountain" in the Pyrenees.



Getting There

Lakes Aumar and AubertLac d'Aubert

From France:
-west and NW: Pau, Tarbes and we take the exit in Lannemezan to Arreau, St Lary Soulan (indication Tunnel de Aragnouet-Bielsa Espagne). D929 to St Lary and before Aragnouet in the village of Fabian is the road to Lac d'Oredon and Reserve Nature de Néouvielle. In the crossroad of the lakes we follow in right side to Lac d’Orédon and Lac d’Aubert (read the red tape about the conditions of access).

-east or NE: Toulousse, from Toulousse in direction to Tarbes but in Lannemezan we'll take the same road.

From Spain:

-west and NW: go to France across Irun and take the road to Pau-Tarbes and we follow the same itinerary of west of France. It's longer but it has good highways (paying). It’s possible the shorter route in direction to Huesca but you has some cols and the road is not highway.

-South, East: we go to province of Huesca. N240 to Barbastro and Ainsa. A138 to Bilesa. Across tunnel Bielsa-Aragnouet we entry in France. After the village of Aragnouet we reach Fabian.

Red Tape

The peak is in a reserve natural with rules. In summer the access to trailhead in Lac d’Aubert is closed from 9:30 to 18 and you must to use (and pay) the bus.

The parking in Lac d'Oredon is paying and it's a step necessary to reach the Lac d'Aubert. You must to pay to exit before the 18h (5 € for more than 5 hours).

Camping

Camping:
-Camping area in Lac d'Aubert:
A very good option to mountaineers is the use of free camping area of Lac d’Aubert (signal of area de “vivouac”). You must go for the road after the 18:00 when the barrier is open and to camp for climb the peak the next day. You must retire the tent in the morning before 9:00.

-Camping area in Lac d'Orédon:
If you want to climb another peak after Néouvielle in the area with trailhead in Cap de Long you can use the free camping area of Lac d'Orédon driving in the morning before 9:00 to the lake of Cap de Long (where it don't exists a place for camping). My favourite option is to dinner in refuge d'Orédon (14,5€) sleeping in the free camping.
Chalet d OredonChalet d'Orédon


Refuges:


-Chalet-Refuge Orédon (40€ dinner+sleeping)

Others:

-Lodges in Fabian, Aragnouet, Saint Lary-Soulan, Bielsa...

External Links

Reserve Naturelle Néouvielle


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.