Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.66630°N / 107.3937°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13157 ft / 4010 m
Sign the Climber's Log

San Juan Range Overview

The San Juan Range is the largest mountain range in Colorado. It dominates southwestern Colorado. In Colorado, the San Juans are second in snowfall only to the Park Range. The San Juan Range is home to 342 peaks above thirteen thousand feet.
Western Weminuche Wilderness from The Window. Photo: Colonelpyat


"Window Peak"

“Window Peak” is located in the San Juan Range 0.9 miles south of centennial thirteener Rio Grande Pyramid. "Window" is the 517th highest peak in Colorado. “Window Peak” is named after The Window, a rectangular notch in the Continental Divide 0.2 miles north of “Window Peak” and 0.7 miles south of Rio Grande Pyramid. Both “Window Peak” and The Window provide spectacular views of the western Weminuche Wilderness, namely the Needle and Grenadier Mountains. The shortest route to "Window Peak" involves 20.6 miles of hiking roundtrip and is described below.
 Window Peak
“Window Peak” and The Window

Getting There

Drive 20.4 miles west on CO 149 from the bridge over Willow Creek in Creede, CO. Turn left onto the Rio Grande Reservoir Road (Forest Service 520). Drive west on the Rio Grande Reservoir Road 9.4 miles to the Thirty Mile Campground. Turn left, drive over a bridge and turn right. The Weminuche Trailhead parking area is on the north side of the road. The Weminuche Trailhead is on the south side of the road.
 Window Peak  East Slopes Route
“Window Peak” East Slopes Route

Follow the Weminuche Trail 5.0 miles to a stream crossing at 10,640 feet. Turn right onto the Opal Lake Trail about 60 feet south of the stream crossing. Follow the Opal Lake Trail 4.7 miles to Opal Lake. Hike 0.6 miles west to the summit.

Red Tape

“Window Peak” is located in the Weminuche Wilderness.

Camping

Camping is not permitted at the trailhead. However, there are plenty of places to camp along the Weminuche and Opal Lake Trails.

External Links

Lists of John


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

San Juan RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks