Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.13850°N / 116.997°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6645 ft / 2025 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Constance Peak



Constance Peak is a little prominent peak that sits in front of the San Bernardino Ridge. It overlooks the the upper Santa Ana River drainage system. It has fine views of all the middle San Bernardino Mountain Range peaks, especially rugged Keller Peak. Constance Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List and has a prominence value of P864. The forested hike begins in the little mountain community of Angelus Oaks. This is a great peak to combine with ascents of nearby Heart Bar Peak, Onyx Peak, Lightning Gulch Point, Three Sisters, and Sugarloaf Mountain.

Getting There

Take I-10 east past San Bernardino to the Orange Street exit onto SR 38.
Go a block east, turn left and go 0.5 mile to Lugonia Avenue. Turn right onto SR 38 and continue east. Take SR 38 for 20 miles until reaching Angelus Oaks. Just pass the shopping centers on the left is a dirt road 1N12, Thomas Hunting Ground Road. Drive up this road keep right at the first and second forks, and left at the third. After about a 1.5 miles you reach a saddle where there is parking off to the side of the road. The route is the firbreak ridgeline to the south of the parking area.



Route

From the parking site hike south up the firebreak ridgeline. The firebreak turns into a use trail that follows just below ridgeline. The trail gains a false peak and drops to to a saddle then gains the true summit. There is some brush in the final section leading to a rocky summit.

Roundtrip is 1.5 miles with 500 feet of gain.

If the gate is closed or there is snow park at Angelus Oaks and hike the road up.

Roundtrip for this option would be 4.5 miles with about a 1000 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions go to the San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions website.

Constance Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Go to California Mountain Atlas for more prominence information.