Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.80130°N / 104.8962°W
Additional Information County: El Paso
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8283 ft / 2525 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mays Peak is located in North Cheyenne Canyon. The summit is a short hike off of Capt Jacks trail, not far from the top of High Drive. The trees at the summit are sparse and allow for nice views of the city and the canyon.
Mays PeakMays Peak

Colorado Rank: 3467
Prominence: 423'
Quadrangle: Manitou Springs

Rank and Prominence information from
Lists of John

Getting There

From Colorado Springs take Highway 24 (Cimarron St) west to 21st St. Follow 21st street until it changes to Cresta Rd and intersects Cheyenne Blvd. Turn right onto Cheyenne Blvd. When the road forks, follow it to the right on North Cheyenne Canyon Rd. The south fork will take you to Seven Falls. Follow the road past Helen Hunt Falls up the switchbacks until you reach the end of the paved road. Park in the large gravel parking lot on the left.

Route Overviews

Via High Dr/Capt Jacks Trail: This route starts up the dirt road, High Dr. The second part of the route starts on Capt Jacks trail but quickly leave that trail and heads straight up the mountain.

Via High Dr/Corkscrew Trail: This route starts the same way as the previous route but instead of heading straight up the mountain it travels around the mountain gaining elevation more slowly.

Views from the summit:
NE - Garden of the Gods
E - City of Colorado Springs
W - Mount Buckhorn and Tenney Crags
S - Muscoco Mountain

Red Tape

No permits or fees are required. Dogs should be leashed.

Camping

Camping is allowed in Pike National Forest. Mays Peak lies within Pike National Forest boundries.

External Links

Local weather: Colorado Springs

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.