Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.11500°N / 79.203°W
Additional Information County: Westmoreland
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2930 ft / 893 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Is that the Cingular Tower on Bald Knob?Red Arrow Marks the Cingular Tower on Bald Knob
Elevation equals Communication



Bald Knob is the highest point in the immediate vicinity of Laurel Summit State Park sitting just West of the small park. There are no views available from the summit area. Unfortunately, the Lookout Tower is no longer on the summit. Instead 4 communication towers clutter the area with the Cingular Tower dominating the landscape. Not worth the trip to find this location.







Bald Knob is the topographic crest of the Laurel Hill and the gelogical structural axis of the Laurel Hill anticline. Sandstone outcrops of the Allegheny Group (Pennsylvanian age) are exposed through weathering; there is a scenic view from the rim of the mountain. The name was applied to this feature because forest growth was slow to develop on this dry, rocky site. Strange sounds, similar to a swarm of bees, are peculiar to this knob; these sounds are attributed to traffic on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, located about 0.8 mile to the south.








Getting There

Or is it one of these bumps ?Or is Bald Knob one of these lumps?




About 3 miles south of U. S. Route 30 in Forbes State Forest; 1.5 miles west of the village of Laurel Summit along the Laurel Summit Road.

Just like Linn Run and Laurel Sunnit State Parks, the most scenic drive is to take the PA Turnpike to the Donegal exit and then 711 to 381 to Linn Run Road. Turn right onto Laurel Summit Road and then right onto Weaver Road. Gravel Road to Bald Knob is on the left.





Hike the Laurel Highlands Trail

The Yellow Blazed Laurel Highlands Trail
Nearby Laurel Highlands Trail bridge over PA Turnpike






You can always hike down to the Laurel Highlands Trail bridge that passes over the PA Turnpike less than a mile away...don't feel like you wasted the whole day.



Ain t No Lookout Tower No More, Son


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Laurel HighlandsMountains & Rocks