Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 53.00322°N / 117.9887°W
Additional Information County: Jasper National Park
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8816 ft / 2687 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Colin is an outstanding limestone peak in the Jasper area and definitely a true classic. Its popularity has waned over the years, for unknown reasons, in September 2007 when I climbed this peak we were only the second party to sign the summit register.

The Mt. Colin Traverse is a beautiful 4th class ridge adventure with a occasional Cheval moves on an excellent limestone ridge.

This unsung classic deserves more attention, as it is a fantastic limestone rock ridge. Incredible exposure, fantastic views and a hut at the base! What more could you ask for on a weekend adventure.

Getting There

From Jasper, head up the Maligne Lake road and turn off at the Sixth bridge turnoff. The parking area is the start of the Overlander Trail. Hike up the trail for approximately 7 km until you reach Garonne Creek Drainage. This is the first creek past the Moberly Cabin/Pastures.

Garonne creek is usually a dry creek bed. Walk up the creek bed and up on the left you will see a steep grassy embankment. Scramble up and look for a trail. A faint "trail" gains the ridges on the north (left going up hill) side of the creek and follows the rim of the canyon. If you see cairns you are in the right place. At one point the trail turns away from the canyon edge and heads uphill into a burned opening with blow down. Look for a marker on a tree, drop down right and into the forest and canyon. Couple tricky downclimbing moves (not more than 5 m height and the trail eventually meets up with the creek.

Continue hiking up the creek until it makes a right angle turn south, almost at the base of Mount Colin. Gain the steep bank and trail above the creek and into the sub-alpine forest. Colin Centennial Hut awaits you at the top of a steep hill after another 10-15 minutes of uphill grunting.
Mt. Colin

Red Tape

Parks Canada entry pass paid at park gate.

Parks Canada wilderness pass and hut fees through the Alpine Club of Canada if staying at hut.

You can do a voluntary registration with the wardens if you wish.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Info on the Colin Hut from the Alpine Club of Canada

Jasper-Hinton Alpine Club Section - check out the trips

Jasper Mountain Guide, Matt Reynolds

Jasper Mountain Guide, Peter Amann

The climbing shop in Jasper - Gravity Gear

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.