Cribyn

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.87045°N / 3.4098°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2608 ft / 795 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cribyn is pronounced as "Cribin". Although smaller than its neighbours, Pen Y Fan and Corn Du, it is still a worthwhile summit and should be included in any traverse of these. It provides ample photograhic opportunities and is a less busy summit.

Hikers, approaching by the normal route often miss the summit out and head directly to Pen-Y-Fan, traversing Cribyn via a path to the South of the mountain. There is little merit in this unless the weather is atrocious, why risk an ankle? The view is as poor the path, which is strewn with smalll rocks and is very wet from small streams.

There is a good path from the West. The path from the Southeast is far more gradual but sufffers from deep erosion into the peat and is less defined. Both these paths complete the traditional traverse across the summit.

View from CribynView from Summit Back to Pen Y Fan


Cribyn in the afternoon sunPath from Pen Y Fan


Getting There

It is most easily reached from either car park below the Upper Neuadd Reservoir. Parking is free but can be very busy.

The road becomes a narrow single track a short way beyond the car parks and leads up to the reservoir. It frequently has cars precariously parked along it, as hikers try to save themselves a few hundred metres trek.

The path, an uneven dirt track (popular with mountain bikers) crosses the road at this point. This gradually inclines to the saddle between Cribyn (left) and Fan Y Big (right). At this point, there are 2 tracks heading left, the lower one traverses Cribyn, the higher one follows the ridge to the summit. It starts out with a short steep section but is then quite gradual.

If you park on the road, the easiest way to reach the track is to continue along the road to the reservoir, head through the gate and a few metres beyond the building on the right, a narrow path winds up through the rhodedendrons before heading directly uphill through the gate to join the path.

Red Tape and Weather

Although an easy undertaking, the weather does need to be considered. In the beacons the weather is changeable and the cloud base is frequently low. This is hardly life threatening but can leave you wet and miserable with grey photographs.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.