Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.89521°N / 115.63076°W
Additional Information County: Elko
Additional Information Elevation: 7505 ft / 2288 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview




Elko Mountain alpenglowSunset on Elko Mountain.

Located in northeastern Nevada about 8 miles northeast of the city of Elko, Elko Mountain has an elevation of 7,505 feet and a prominence of 2,095 feet.

Elko Mountain is an area landmark visible from nearly every direction and should not be confused with the hill bearing the white “E” on its slope 4 miles southeast of Elko. When approaching Elko from the east on Interstate 80, Elko Mountain, situated south of the interstate, holds a commanding presence and with its prominence, is visible from many miles away.
Elko Mountain summitOne of several antenna arrays on the summit.

A maintenance road leads to the summit, where a radio tower facility is located. The summit affords breathtaking 360-degree views of this beautiful and remote region of Nevada. The majestic Ruby Mountains and East Humboldt Range lie to the southeast, the Adobe Range to the north, and the Humboldt River flows by to the north and west. The summit also provides a good vantage of the communities of Elko, Spring Creek, and Ryndon.
Lights of Elko from Elko Mountain summitThe city lights of Elko from the summit.

Getting There

From Nevada Highway 227 southeast of Elko, turn east on Boyd-Kennedy Road (County Road 711). Boyd-Kennedy Rd. goes from asphalt to dirt/gravel after 0.4 miles; follow the road as it curves to the left at 5.3 miles; after 12.5 miles, you will reach the summit of Elko Mountain. 4WD is required for the latter portion of this route.

Red Tape

None.

Camping

No camping allowed.

Food & Lodging

There are a number of hotels in nearby Elko. I think the best deal in town is at the Stockmen’s Hotel and Casino. As of July 2007, a room with two twin beds went for $39.50. The rooms have AC, refrigerator, bathtub, hairdryer and many have a balcony. The hotel has a nice swimming pool and food is available 24/7 in the casino’s restaurant located right next to the hotel lobby. The Stockmen’s is located at 340 Commercial Street in Elko; 775-738-5141. The Commercial Casino (775-738-3181) is right across the street from the Stockmen’s and their restaurant (the Brand Room) has a great dinner buffet Tuesday through Saturday, 5pm-10pm.