Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.34870°N / 117.5841°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5261 ft / 1604 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Red Mountain





Red Mountain is a old volcanic peak near the towns of Red Mountain and Randsburg off of the 395 in the northern Mojave Desert. Red Mountain has a prominence value of P=2061 and is on the Hundred Peaks List of the Sierra Club. The summit was used as a survey and signal station. The summit is littered with signal equipment and has rock graffiti that dates back to 1907 when the U.S.G.S surveyed the region. The ascent involves scrambling over loose eroded lava slopes and without shade the entire way. This is a great winter hike but can be very windy.

Getting There

To reach Red Mountain take the 395 north from the I-15 in Hesperia. Take the 395 north through Kramers Junction and about another 20 miles when you reach the city sign reading Red Mountain. Look for a abandoned truck shop on the right. Just before the statio is a signed dirt road for Randsburg. Pull into this turn out. For passenger cars park at the turnout without blocking the road. It is 3/4ths of a mile to the upper parking area. High clearance vehicles can drive up the road and turn left at the gas valves and then a immediate right at the fork. Park at the shot out car.

Route



From the upper parking area hike up the rough jeep road east towards the peak. It turns into a use trail after a 1/2 miles. Continue up the west slope towards point 5024 ft. walking on the north slope to the left of it's summit. Gain the saddle with point 5180 ft. Climb up the western ridge of Point 5180 ft. From Point 5180 drop to the south along the ridgeline connecting to Red's main summit. Gain the north ridge of Red and take in the views.

Round trip from the upper parking spot is 3.5 miles and 1500 feet of gain.
Round trip from the highway turnout is 5 miles with about 2000 feet of gain.

External Links

Red Mountain is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Red Mountain is on the California Mountain Atlas.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.