Baldpate Mountain-More to come

Baldpate Mountain-More to come

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.60929°N / 70.89232°W
Additional Information County: Oxford
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 3790 ft / 1155 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Temporary Display Photo
Part of the Longfellows in the Appalachian Range, Baldpate mountain sits within the watershed of the Androscoggin River, which drains into Merrymeeting Bay. Standing at 3,790 feet above sea level, East peak is one of Baldpates two prominant peaks, only slightly taller than its 3,662' sister, West peak. To the north lies Surplus mountain, to the south west, Baldpate looks upon Old Speck across Grafton Notch. The Appalachian Trail runs over Baldpate, and is said by some to be one of the most difficult sections of the entire 2,175 mile footpath. The AT runs over both of Baldpates peaks. Baldpate Mountain has a peak prominence of 2,240 feet.

Getting There

Get off interstate 95 northbound onto Route 302 just outside of westbrook. Stay on 302 through North Windham, past Sebago lake. When the junction for Route 35 appears, bear left onto it. Continue on route 35 until you get to the town of lynchville. There you must bare right where route 5 merges with 35, staying on route 35. Continue on until you hit yet another junction of 5 and 35, this time bare left, staying on Route 5. You will eventually come into downtown Bethel, where you will take a right onto Railroad street. Shortly thereafter take a left onto Bridge street, staying on Route 5 as it merges with route 26. Eventually you will come into the town of Newry, where you will take a left onto Bear River road as 26 leaves 5. Stay on 26 and you will drive directly into the park. Stay on and you eventually see the parking lot for Baldpate Mountain on your left, with ample parking.

Red Tape

All areas of Grafton Notch State Park works off of the honor basis, so you if you so choose to be an honest person you can deposit the suggested fee in any of the marked boxes.

Camping

There is camping in the designated spots along the Appalachian Trail. There is also a lean-to located on the side of Baldpate. As far as camping inside of the park i do not belive there are any designated areas, however i am not positive.

Topography

Temporary Display Photo

External Links

www.MATC.org

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

jscottcc - Oct 31, 2016 3:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Directions

It is faster to take I-95 to route 26 in Gray, and follow that to Grafton Notch

TMF

TMF - Feb 13, 2017 11:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Directions

ok thanks! i will edit the directions to reflect this

Viewing: 1-2 of 2