Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.73740°N / 117.566°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4120 ft / 1256 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shadow Mountain




The Shadows Mountains are a rugged little limestone range in the far western Mojave Desert. The range has commanding views of the western Mojave, especially of Edwards Air Force Base, Muroc Dry Lake, El Mirage Dry Lake, and the San Garbiel Mountains. the nearest developed town is Adelanto and it is about ten miles away. The highest peak is Shadow Mountain Silver at 4120 feet at the western end and Silver Peak 4043 feet at the eastern end. Silver Peak is the more climber oriented peak. Shadow Mountain has a abandoned radio tower on the summit with a high clearance dirt road. Great views from both. Shadow Mountain has a prominence value of P1230 and is fourth on the San Antonio Cell (aka Mount Baldy). Shadow Mountain is a good ascent to combine with Silver Peak.

Getting There

Take any freeway you need to connect with the Interstate 15 through the Inland Empire. Take I-15 north through Cajon Pass and take the Highway 395 from the junction. Take the 395 passing the town of Adelanto and continuing for about another ten miles to the the junction with the unpaved, but passenger car fiendly, Shadow Mountain Road. Turn left(West) onto this road and take it for about 5 miles passing through the mostly abandoned town of Shadow Mountain. On your right (north) you will see the crest of the Shadow Mountains. When you reach a abandoned house with a road just to the west of it, turn right. From this distance you can tell the road continues up to the peak with the towers. Park off to the side of the road. High clearance vehicles can continue to the summit.

Route

Shadow Mountain

From the parking area hike op the road. At the junction, two radio tower peak, keep to your left, this is the highpoint peak. Continue up to the summit.

Roundtrip is around 2.5 miles with about 500 feet of gain.

External Links

Weather Underground

For road and highway information in San Bernardino County.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.