Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.24232°N / 6.79615°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6978 ft / 2127 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Summit of TrevincaP.Trevinca
Peña TrevincaP.Trevinca

Peña Trevinca (2127m) is the highest mountain of the provinces of Zamora and Orense / Ourense in the northwest of Spain and the highest of the region of Galicia. It is found in the nature reserve of Sanabria, near the great lake of Sanabria, and it has long routes from the province of León by the north, from Zamora by the south and from Ourense by the west.

Itself does not it treat only of the highest mountain of a zone but I believe that it has a lot of interest to visit the zone of the nature reserve where is found that to reach only the top. Due to that any route that is undertaken supposes more than 20km is a mountain destined to mountaineers or hikers trained, although the slope does not surpass the 1000m.

Name: probably came from the word Trifinca (Three demarcations) or from the confluence of three rivers (Xares, Tera and Cabrera). Some persons says a possible derivation of the flower Pervinca.

Range: the great range is called Macizo Galaico-Leonés where's the little Sierra de Trevinca or Segundera. For the moment it's the only peak of this massif and the range don't has a page.

Routes/Trailhead:

-South: Laguna de los Peces (1730m), it's the entry from Lake of Sanabria (province of Zamora), 4h 15’.
-North: Fonte Da cova (1780m), it's the entry from La Baña (province of León), 4h.
-West: Ponte (1100m), it's a village of province of Ourense. 4h30’

Getting There

Laguna de los pecesL.de los Peces
Fonte da CovaFonte da cova

-Approach to Sanabria: from León you'll take N-611, N-601, N-630 and finally A-66 always in direction to Benavente. You'll take the exit #79 to Puerta de Sanabria / Lago de Sanabria. Take direction to San Martín de Castañeda across ZA-104 and Za-103. In the village take the road to Laguna de los Peces.

-Approach to La Baña: from León take direction to A Coruña (or Astorga and Ponferrada) to take AP-71 to exit #37 A Coruña. In A-6 take exit #400 Ourense / Monforte to N-120. Before the village of La Baña, in OU-122 you'll reach the Puerto of Fonte da Cova.

-Approach to Ponte
: from Ourense N-525 to A Gudiña and A Ponte.

Red Tape

River Tera and TrevincaTera & Trevinca

The Peña Trevinca is in the Natural Reserve of Sanabria with rules about conservation of wildlife. The park is located at South and East of the peak, in the province of Zamora.

Not fees, free access.

Camping

The free camping is not authorized in the natural reserve but it's possible sleep in the free huts of the routes (even it's advisable according with some of the signals of the park). Generally the mountaineers don't need to climb the peak in two days but it's a good option for the hikers spend the night in the Refuge de Vega del Conde, in the route from Sanabria.

External Links

mendikat.net: description about Trevinca in spanish.
I.G.N. map 1:50.000 free map of I.G.N. of Spain of La Baña of year 2003 with all the area of Trevinca.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.