Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.61040°N / 105.3609°W
Additional Information County: Jefferson
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8536 ft / 2602 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View of Mount Evans from Evergreen Mountain Summit
View of Mount Evans from Evergreen Mountain Summit

Evergreen Mountain lies in the southwest corner of the 1,128 acre Alderfer/Three Sisters Park, part of the Jefferson County Open Space. Looking south toward the mountain from the western parking lot, Evergreen Mountain sits as a wooded, gentle hump on the horizon. Hidden from view, however, is the rocky summit outlook affording the hiker drop-dead views of the Mount Evans Group, featuring 14,264 foot Mount Evans. Keen-eyed summiters can spy Pikes Peak in the southern distance.

Rock Outcropping on Evergreen Mountain
Rock Outcropping on Evergreen Mountain

Accessible via an approximately 6-mile round-trip hike on excellent, well-signed trails and requiring about 1,100 feet of elevation gain, the Evergreen Mountain summit is attainable to a wide-spectrum of hikers. The rewards from the summit are an excellent value for the cost/effort of reaching the top.

Prominence: 556 feet
Colorado Rank: 3,283rd highest mountain in Colorado
USGS Quad: Conifer

Getting There

To access Alderfer/Three Sisters Park, travel south of Evergreen, Colorado on Highway 73. To reach the west parking lot, turn west on Buffalo Park Road, approximately 1.5 miles (passing the east parking lot at mile 1). Turn right into the west parking lot (see historic ranch house and barn) at LeMasters Road.

Red Tape

The park opens one hour before sunrise and closes one hour after sunset. Dogs must be on a leash. 

Scrambling on Evergreen Mountain
Scrambling on Evergreen Mountain

Camping & Lodging

This regional park is accessible via a short drive from anywhere in the Denver metropolitan area. A visit to Evergreen Mountain is a short, pleasant day trip for hikers from Colorado Springs or Fort Collins. As a result, lodging is unnecessary for a majority of visitors to Evergreen Mountain.

Camping: No camping is available in the park.
Hotels: A Quality Suites is available on Evergreen Parkway.
Cabins: Cabins are available for rent via Bear Creek Cabins or Stone Mountain Cabins.

Seasons & Weather

Evergreen Mountain is a year-round mountain.

Heavy snow is likely in the winter, but the trail system receives plenty of traffic, keeping the snow-packed. Hiking in the winter or early spring rewards the hiker with shining-mountain views of Mount Evans. Hiking during snow season will provide a more peaceful experience of Evergreen Mountain.

In the summer and early fall, SPer ColoradoScott warns, mountain bike traffic on the trail is quite heavy. Hiking this mountain when the trails are clear of snow will likely yield a more social and less solitary, perhaps even more hectic, trail experience.

External Links

Jefferson County Open Space

More Interesting Rock on Evergreen MountainMore Interesting Rock on Evergreen Mountain






Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.