Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.31961°N / 116.89348°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8336 ft / 2541 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Arctic Point




Arctic Point is a prominent peak that stands watch over the northern end of Holcomb Valley. It has a prominence value of P936 making it the eighth most prominent peak over five thousand feet in the San Bernardino Mountains. Arctic Point is also on the Sierra Clubs Hundred Peaks Section list. Arctic Point is a short hike that can be combined with hikes to other Hundred Peak listed summits. Some of this peaks are, Butler Peak, Grays Peak, Little Bear Peak, Delamar Mountain, Crafts Peak, Bertha Peak, and Gold Mountain.

Getting There

These directions are pulled from the Hundred Peaks Website.

Take the I-215 or new I-210 and connect with SR 30. Drive east on SR 30 to SR 330. Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 at the town of Running Springs.
Drive east on SR 18 to the dam at Big Bear Lake. Turn left on SR 38. Drive on SR 38 to Fawnskin. Continue east on SR 38 for 2.0 miles to Polique Canyon Road (Holcomb Valley turnoff). Turn left (north). Note your odometer and go as follows: At 1.5 miles, T intersection with 2N71 to the left. Go right (northeast) on 2N09. At 2.0 miles, a gated road on the right. At 3.9 miles, junction with 3N16. Turn right (east). At 4.3 miles, fork. This is the turnoff for Gold Mountain. Turn left (northeast) on 3N07. At 4.8 miles, fork. Go past 3N23 and shortly thereafter turn left on 3N43. At 5.4 miles, the road goes down through a wash. Park just before the wash.

The area is a little confusing. I had to park maybe a half mile further away from the trailhead because of road conditions.

Route

From the parking area hike east up a gully with light but tall brush. This gully passes south of Point 7685. Take this gully to more open western slopes all the way to the most southeastern and higher summit rock pile. The peak is generally pretty open brush wise.

Roundtrip is 3 miles with 800 feet of gain from the HPS trailhead.

External Links

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

For camping information and current conditions go to the San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions website.

Arctic Point is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Go to California Mountain Atlas for more prominence information.