Montezuma Peak and "The Unicorn"

Montezuma Peak and "The Unicorn"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.36660°N / 106.6993°W
Additional Information County: Archuleta
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13150 ft / 4008 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

     Montezuma Peak and "The Unicorn" lie .63 miles apart on the Continental Divide at 13,150' and 13,020' respectively.  They are two one of five peaks higher than 13,000' within the South San Juan Area.  These peaks are hard to pass up when hiking Summit Peak, the highest peak in the range, and the Archuleta County Highpoint.  They combine nicely with Summit Peak, Long Trek Peak, 12,498, and 12,550 depending on desire for adventure.  The area is quite devoid of human presence and is extremely lush in the summer.  An extra pair of socks is not a bad idea as the vegetation and dew it collects is inescapable in summer months.


"The Unicorn" - 13,020'


Montezuma Peak - 13,150'

Getting There

Access to Treasure Creek can be accomplished at least two ways if approaching from the north. From highway 160 on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass, take FR 390 to FR 380 and head south to Elwood Pass and continue to FR 243 and head west 2 miles to the TH at Treasure Creek.
Or,
From highway 160 on the west side of Wolf Creek Pass (Pagosa Springs side) take FR 667 to Elwood Pass, then take FR 380 south to FR 243 and head west 2 miles to the TH at Treasure Creek.

Southern Approach (from Summit Peak page by attm)
From Antonito, CO drive approximately 22 miles west on highway 17 and turn right on FR 250. Drive approximately 25 miles and then turn left on FR 380. Drive 3 miles and after passing Lake Anella, make a left turn on FR 243. Drive about 2 miles and park at the end of the road.

View of "The Unicorn" from across Treasure Creek, just above treeline.

Camping

Located in the heart of the South San Juan Wilderness, there are several camping areas nearby. For more information, see this link: activities.wildernet.com


View of Summit Peak from the summit of "The Unicorn"


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.