Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.60021°N / 7.94953°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 8435 ft / 2571 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tschuggen (2520m)Tschuggen

Mönch,Tschuggen,JungfrauMönch, Tschuggen & Jungfrau

The peak Tschuggen (2520m) is the highest of the ridge of Lauberhorn (2470m) but it's less popular because its route is longer than route of Lauberhorn. If we begin the route in Kleine Scheidegg or Mannlichen the climb of Tschuggen is a good option both with Lauberhorn in the same hike for mountaineers because the climb of Lauberhorn is really short. The climb is a little harder than Lauberhorn but without special difficulties out of the winter season, and the landscape of the area is wonderful as the neighbour Lauberhorn. It's interesting always as well the climb of highest peak, and in this case the cone peak of Tschuggen is really nice, because it many mountaineers consult the map in the summit of Lauberhorn trying to identificate the peak at North side. At South-West side of this ridge are the impressive peaks of Bernese Alps, the trilogy of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, always beautiful from this place.

Because the approach is the same to Kleine Scheidegg and Lauberhorn I will write only three routes, the route from the summit of Lauberhon, the most frequented from Kleine Scheidegg, and the route from Mannlinchen. The approach from Grindelwald or Wengen is the same of the routes that I wrote in Lauberhorn.

Getting There

MännlichenMännlichen with Tschuggen

Grindelwald is easily reachable in train from Interlaken, the main village of the area. map

Red Tape

Lauberhorn and TschuggenLauberhorn & Tschuggen

These grassy mountains can deceive in sight since the valley and to seem us nearby but the effort is nothing contemptible and the map returns us to the reality of the 1,5 km of slope that separate us of the top. If we begin in Grindelwald the route should be confronted with forces and sufficient patience and, in spite of the fact that the tourists in the train in several occasions they advance us, we must to try of not fall in the temptation of abandon in some of the intermediate train stations. Without doubt the top will be more satisfactory.
The route from Kleine Scheideg is always advisable because the landscape is wonderful if we stay some days in the area climbing another mountains and we don't want to make a great hike of more than 1500m of slope.

Camping

Camping is not allowed.
Many lodges and hotels in Grindelwald, Interlaken, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen...

External Links

Jungfraubahn information about railroad, hiking trails and maps of the area.

Weather conditions in Grindelwald:






Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.