Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.22860°N / 105.5895°W
Additional Information County: Park County
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9951 ft / 3033 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Remnants of an old burn, just below Sugarloaf Mountain D summitRemnants of an old burn, just below Sugarloaf Mountain D summit.
25 May 2008


Sugarloaf Mountain cuts a striking silhouette against the sky above Tarryall Reservoir. The 360 degree views from the summit of this rugged, high Niner are, in the words of one summit registrant, “worth every step; worth every breath”. Close-up views of the Tarryall Mountains tantalize the hiker with their nearby summits. Far off views of snow-clad leviathans including Square Top, Mount Silverheels, Mt. Guyot, Bald Mountain and the Sherman-Sheridan-Gemini-Horseshoe group refresh. But the greatest vista of all is looking southeast down the verdant Tarryall Valley, hemmed in by mountains and stony outcrops and topped off by a distant view of lonely Pikes Peak.

Forty-nine feet shy of 10,000 feet and guarded by rugged outcroppings, Sugarloaf Mountain D will tax the legs, lungs and route-finding skills of the hiker more than one might expect at initial glance. Approximately 1 mile roundtrip as the crow flies, the hike to the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain D simply feels like more. This is a fun ascent with a breathtaking finish of Class 2 scrambling on up-tilted boulders to a surprisingly grassy, flat but compact summit. Short but sweet, mighty little Sugarloaf Mountain D reminds the hiker that sometimes less is more.

Colorado Rank: 2,337nd highest mountain in Colorado
Prominence: 467 feet

Getting There

From Colorado Springs: Hwy 24 West to Lake George. Just past lake George, turn right (northwest) on Park County 77 (Tarryall Road) and follow it to the Tarryall Reservoir. Use caution with the minefields of potholes. Between dusk and dawn, deer and elk are incredibly numerous - watch your speed! From Park County Road 77 take #142 (generally northeast) up Potato Gulch approximately one mile and park.
Sugarloaf Mountain Summit, Puma Hills in the BackdropThe Sugarloaf Mountain D Summit with the Puma Hills in the Backdrop.
25 May 2008

From Denver: Take Hwy 285 to the town of Jefferson and turn left on Park County 77 to the Tarryall Reservoir. (Keep an eye out for free range cattle.) From Park County Road 77 take #142 (generally northeast) up Potato Gulch approximately one mile and park.

Notes:
  • While rough in spots, #142 up Potato Gulch should be passable in dry weather to drivers of high-clearance vehicles for the first mile to the suggested parking area.

  • After leaving state land but before reaching federal land, #142 briefly crosses a private landholding. Be respectful and close both gates behind your vehicle as you proceed.

  • Ranchers run cattle up this gulch. Use common sense when interacting with these animals, especially the bulls or cows with calves. Do not let your dog loose near livestock.

Camping & Lodging

Southeast down the Tarryall ValleyLooking Southeast down the Tarryall Valley from the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain D.
25 May 2008

Camping
Plenty of camping can be found along Park County 77 and spur roads off of it.

FS 144 Area
Plenty of rustic 4x4 camping can be found along FS 144 and spur roads off of it. Be advised that this camping will most likely be "dry camping"; bring plenty of water.

South end of Hwy 77
The south end of Hwy 77 (Tarryall Road), near Hwy 24, provides several established U.S. Forest Service camping areas. South Park Ranger District Lake George Area Campgrounds include: Riverside, Spillway, Happy Meadows, Round Mountain, Spruce Grove, and Twin Eagles. Please contact the district office at 719-836-2031with additional questions about the campgrounds in the South Park Ranger District.

North end of Hwy 77
The north end of Park County 77 and dirt spur roads are abound with off-road campsites. Several campsites off Rt 39 provide views of Mt. Silverheels, Buffalo Peaks and other 13ers and 12ers that will bring tears to your eyes. Many of these campsites are dry, so ample water will need to be packed in. Additionally, on some weekends (e.g. holiday weekends) competition for suitable sites on Rt 39 and its spurs can be downright fierce as large armadas of RVs and ATV float in and set up shop.

Despite the proximity of campsites on the shores of the Tarryall Reservoir, it is not recommended that these be used in the high season/warmer weather. These campsites are known to be crowded and to get a bit rowdy. If a good night’s sleep is in order, other campsites should be explored.

Cabins, Lodges and Hotels
Numerous cabins can be rented in and around Lake George. There are also a few cabins/lodges along the Tarryall Creek catering especially to the fly fishing visitor. For example: Ute River Ranch. There are a few hotels in Fairplay.
If looks could kill - stared down by a Big HornIf looks could kill: Stared down by a Big Horn in the Tarryall Valley.
25 May 2008

Red Tape, Restrictions, etc

As noted in the “Getting There” section:
  • After leaving state land but before reaching federal land, #142 briefly crosses a private landholding. Be respectful and close both gates behind your vehicle as you proceed.

  • Ranchers run cattle up this gulch. Use common sense when interacting with these animals, especially the bulls or cows with calves. Do not let your dog loose near livestock.


Looking West to Bald Mountain  & Mount GuyotLooking West to Bald Mountain & Mount Guyot
from the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain D.
25 May 2008

Weather & Seasons

This mountain can be hiked year-round. In the event of deep snow or mud-season conditions on #142 up Potato Gulch, hikers can park at the intersection of Park County 77 and #142, adding an additional 2 miles to the round-trip hiking distance.

Zone Forecast for Jefferson, CO

External Links

Pike & San Isabel National Forests
Pike National Forest Recreation Map
Tarryall Reservoir from Sugarloaf SummitThe Tarryall Reservoir from
the Sugarloaf Mountain D Summit.
25 May 2008


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.