Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.96018°N / 74.20994°W
Additional Information County: Essex
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 2690 ft / 820 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A 60' fire tower was erected on this mountain in 1922 that was staffed until 1970. The area was once logged by the Huntington's, and remains of their logging operations can still be seen on the mountain. The 2,690’ peak is in the 15,000 acre Huntington Wildlife Forest owned by the College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse University. The College and the Town of Newcomb restored the tower in 1995. The views from the summit and the fire tower are expansive. One can see Santanoni mountain in the foreground with many other high peaks visible in the distance.

Getting There

Trailhead Directions:

Trailhead parking lot is off of route 28N a couple of miles west of Newcomb, NY.

Trail Description:

There is a 1.9 mile trail to the summit which climbs 1050ft. There is remains of old building foundations and an old horse barn left over from the logging operations on the way to the fire tower. There are brochures at the trailhead for a self-guided nature hike on the trail.

Red Tape

Huntington Wildlife Forest regulations can be found here.

Camping

Camping and campfires on Huntington Wildlife Forest are permitted only at designated locations and require prior approval of AEC (Adirondack Ecological Center) staff.

External Links

SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry: Huntington Wild Forest
Adirondack Ecological Center
Adirondack Park Agency: Newcomb Visitor Interpretive Center
New York State Fire Towers (Paul Laskey Jr.)
Peakbagger
National Historic Lookout Register