Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.79162°N / 0.11870°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10410 ft / 3173 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Campbieil

The peak Campbieil (3173m) is the second in importance of massif of Pic Long (3192m) in the Natural Reserve of Néouvielle but probably it's the most frequented peak from the trailhead of Cap de Long and the most popular of the Natural Reserve both with Néouvielle (3091m). The reason is evident, both peaks are very important but they are easy to climb. The highest peak of the area, the Pic Long, it's very hard to climb for many mountaineers and the best option to climb from Cap de Long is this nice peak with a marvellous panorama, in my opinion one of the best of the area. Early in the season when the snow remains in its hillsides is one of the best peaks to learn the use of crampons and ice-axe to reach a summit over 3000 meters for the first time with snow. As well it's a very good option to climb with ski.

The normal route have trailhead in Cap de Long (2,180m) but it exists another longer route from the ski-resort of Piau-Engaly (1,583m) climbing the ridge of Lentilla.



Campbieil (3173m)View from normal route

Getting There

Cap de LongCap de Long
Piau-EngalyPiau-Engaly

From France:
-west and NW: Pau, Tarbes and we'll take the exit in Lannemezan to Arreau, St Lary Soulan (indication Tunnel de Aragnouet-Bielsa Espagne). D929 to St Lary and before Aragnouet in the village of Fabian is the road to Lac d'Oredon and Reserve Nature de Néouvielle. In the crossroad of the lakes we'll follow in left side to Cap de Long (right is to Lac d'Oredon and Lac d'Aubert).

-east or NE: Toulousse, from Toulousse in direction to Tarbes but in Lannemezan we'll take the same road.

From Spain:
-west and NW: go to France across Irun and take the road to Pau-Tarbes and we'll follow the same itinerary of west of France. It's longest but it had good highways (pay). It's possible the shortest route in direction to Huesca but you had some cols and the road is not highway.

-South, East: we'll go to province of Huesca. N240 to Barbastro and Ainsa. A138 to Bielsa. Across tunnel Bielsa-Aragnouet we'll entry in France. After the village of Aragnouet we'll reach Fabian.

Red Tape

Summit of Campbieil

The Nature park of Néouvielle is a great area with rules for the accesses, activities and places of camping.

In winter or early in the season (May, some years the first days of June) the road can be closed by the snow and you must begin the walk below of Cap de Long.

Camping

The places of camping permitted, withdrawing the tent at the morning, they are found properly indicated. In Cap of Long, trailhead, it don't exist places of camping, but we can spent the night in caravan or in the vehicle or even in vivac in summer.
Further down in the road is found the free zone of camping of the Lac d'Oredon although the park garage is of payment. In this place is the barrier to access to Lac d'Aubert, closed in summer from 9:30 to 18:00, but it don't exists routes to Campbieil from this side. It exists another camping area in the Lac d'Aubert but it's longer of itinerary and it's usefull only if you want to climb Néouvielle the next day.

Of course it's possible to lodge in the refuge-chalet of Lac d'Oredon or the villages as Aragnouet, Fabian, St Lary Soulan,…

External Links

Wikipedia:Néouvielle massif

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.