Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68056°N / 110.89154°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 11212 ft / 3417 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Murdock Mountain is a small mountain south of its more notable neighbor, Bald Mountain. Mudrock Mountain makes a nice little addition when climbing Bald Mountain or any of the other peaks around the area as the hike to its summit is an easy jaunt along a broad, sparsely tree-clad ridge.  Although the mountain isn't too spectacular by Uinta Mountain standards, its still provides one with great views and an introduction to the Unita Mountains. The north side of this mountain is bounded by a steep escarpment (~500ft) and could play host to more exciting ascents or descents.

The top of Murdock Mountain is very broad and it is somewhat difficult to determine the actual highpoint. There is a large summit cairn that marks what looks like the "summit". There is a benchmark further down, but that doesn't seem to be the highpoint (still marked with a cairn).
Summit Carin
Summit carin on Murdock Mountain


Getting There

 
Murdock Mountain
View of Murdock from Bald Mountain Pass.
The Route
Typical scene while hiking to the Murdock Mountain
From Samak-
Head Northeast on Hwy 150 for around 25 miles to Bald Mountain Pass. There is a pullout a little less then half a mile past the Bald Mountain Trialhead on the right side. This is a great place to start. You could start from the Bald Mountain Trailhead if you wanted. Choose your own adventure, any route from the road around the pass is going to be less than two miles roundtrip.

.

Red Tape

A $6 fee is required for use of reacreational facilities (aka parking at trailheads). See this link for more information.  Also, roads may not be plowed in the winter. Check with the ranger station for details.

Camping

There is plenty of established camping all along the Mirror Lake Highway. Check this link for more information regarding camping in the region

External Links

Utah Avalanche Center

Avalanche Center

Wasatch-Cache National Forest Supervisors Office-
125 South State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84138
(801)-236-3400

Kamas Ranger District
5o East Center Street
P.O. Box 68
Kamas, UT 84036

Misc

If you have anymore information about this mountain feel free to tell me about it and I will add it.
View from the Slope
View off of the east side of Murdock Mountain looking towards Mt. Agassiz (R) and Hayden Peak (L).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dean

Dean - Aug 4, 2009 4:47 am - Voted 10/10

Wasatch County highpoint

I've added a link to this using the "Trip Report" section. I've also attached a map showing the relationship of the county highpoint to Murdock Mountain.

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Aug 6, 2009 3:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wasatch County highpoint

Oh, thats sweet....I never knew that...Thanks for attaching that! I'll have to add that info in the page when I get a chance

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Mar 11, 2014 6:52 pm - Voted 10/10

lat/lon

Your lat/lon is kind of off. It should be 40.68056 -110.89154

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Oct 28, 2014 5:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: lat/lon

Thanks Zeejay, I'll fix it. Wouldn't want anyone to get lost in this big pile o' talus. Cheers!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.