Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.40800°N / 121.001°W
Additional Information County: Kittitas
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6394 ft / 1949 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hawkins on Route to The Louvre
Hawkins Mountain

The Louvre is the unofficial name for point 6,394 to the northeast of Jolly Mountain. It lies in unprotected country, straddling the Teanaway and Salmon La Sac entry points for wilderness travel. The way to this peak lies largely on good trail, but there is great open-country travel near the top, with a little exposed Class 3 scramble near the summit. From this summit, one can survey peaks all the way from Mt. Adams in the South, to Mt. Daniel to the North. One has a great vantage point here of the Stuart Range, Hawkins Mtn., and the Snoqualmie Pass Peaks from Three Queens in the South to Mt. Daniel in the North.

Getting There

The Louvre (Mt. Skookum)
The Louvre from Jolly Mtn. Trail
Skooum (Louvre) Route
Hawkins Mountain
Hawkins Mountain
Climbing over the False Summit
False Summit with Jolly in Distance

Driving Interstate 90 East from Seattle and Snoqualmie Pass, get off at Exit 80 (Roslyn/Salmon La Sac). Drive through the towns of Roslyn (Northern Exposure) and Ronald, continuing on towards the camprgound at Salmon La Sac (about 18 miles from Interstate 90). Just about 1/2 mile before Salmon La Sac, turn right onto FS Road #4315, and take this road 6 miles until the gate at 4,700 feet. From here, either head directly up through clear-cut, or hike the road about 1.5 miles to the trail at the top of the ridge. Hike the trail towards Jolly Mountain. (Alternatively, you could hike the Jolly Mountain Trail from the bottom of FS Road #4315. This will add about 4 miles and 2,500 feet elevation gain to the trip).

You will pass three trail junctions, heading towards Jolly Mountain each time until the third junction. At the third junction, turn left (North) towards The Louvre. There is good trail heading towards The Louvre. Unfortunately, the trail drops 600 feet to the saddle. From there, a climber's boot track takes you up the ridge towards The Louvre. Climb directly up the ridge, pass over the false summit (moderately exposed Class 3) to the true summit, which is a rock horn. Distance: About 8 miles round trip, and about 3,000 feet elevation gain with ups and downs.

 
EDIT: Updated information indicates that the gate on FS Road #4315 has been removed. If so, this shortens your trip by about 1 mile each way and also reduces elevation gain by about 600 feet.



Red Tape

 
En Route to Skookum
Jolly Mtn. from Ridge Approach
 
Flowers En Route to Skookum
Balsamroot and Lemah, Chimney Rock
 
Summit area of Skookum
Summit of The Louvre
 
Snoqualmie Pass Peaks
Lemah, Chimney Rock Peaks
The Louvre lies in unprotected country. Since there is no established trailhead, there is no need for a Trail Park Pass. For information on the status of the access road, contact the Cle Elum Ranger Station at (509) 852-1100.

Camping

As this is primarily a ridge approach and it melts out early, there is very little running water. Any camping would have to be done by June when snowbanks provide water. Camping is possible by dropping into basins of Jolly Creek and Middle Fork Teanaway drainages.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Alpine Lakes WildernessMountains & Rocks
 
The TeanawayMountains & Rocks
 
The "Back Court" 100Mountains & Rocks