Bryant Peak (Poets Ridge)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.95820°N / 121.07483°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6401 ft / 1951 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Cristo Peaks from Poet s RidgeMonte Cristo Peaks from the Poe Mountain Trail
Bryant Peak straddles Glacier Peak Wilderness in the east and Henry M. Jackson Wilderness in the west. It is the furthest north of the famous "Poet's Ridge," a cluster of peaks named for famed American poets whose namesakes include Whittier Peak, Longfellow Mtn., Poe Mountain, and Irving Peak. The climb of Bryant will provide unrivalled views of the south side of Glacier Peak, as well as great views of Whittier Peak to the east, and the Monte Cristo peaks to the west and north. Don't be fooled by the modest elevation of Bryant Peak. It is a long climb (about 12 miles roundtrip, 5,000 feet elevation gain with ups and downs) and will take a very full day.

Getting There

Traveling along Poet s RidgeGlacier Peak from Ridge
Beneath Longfellow Mtn.Dropping below Longfellow
Drive US-2 East from Stevens Pass. Take a left at the access road to Lake Wenatchee. Follow signs to the Little Wenatchee River Road, and follow the road to its end. There are multiple trailheads here. Find the Poe Mountain Trailhead, and hike a steep 3 miles (3,000 feet gain) to the ridge crest. From here, it is a quick jaunt to the south to complete the scramble of Poe Mountain. Instead, for Bryant Peak, head north along Poet's Ridge, following a well-defined trail. Under Longfellow mountain, the trail will dishearteningly lose about 1,000 feet. Don't fear...You will regain it all and then some. Follow the ridge north until under Bryant Peak, then ascend upward over steep heather and rock. Class 2. Time to summit: About 6 hours. Count on a 12 hour day round trip.

When to Climb

Traveling Poet s Ridge SouthRidge Back South
Summit view from Bryant PeakSummit of Bryant
Whittier Peak from Bryant summitWhittier Peak from Bryant
The mountain is usually climbed between the months of May to September, although due to the amount of time required to climb the peak, the longer daylight of Spring/early Summer is preferable.

In addition, snow cover in the basin leading to Bryant's summit ridge makes traversing the basin much easier. A June scramble is ideal.


Camping

Camping on the ridge will only be possible in early season (June or earlier) for access to snowmelt for water. Otherwise, this will be a very dry trip and camping will not be possible except at the trailhead.

External Links

Bryant Peak RouteTOPO! Software Image
For snow conditions, contact the Lake Wentachee Recreation Club at:


Lake Wenatchee Recreation Club

Also, webcams are available from the Washington State Department of Transportation at:

Stevens Pass Web Cam