Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.85220°N / 122.0632°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 656 ft / 200 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hiking Trail in Lord Hill Regional Park
Lord Hill is a hilly ridge most commonly known from the county park which bears its name, located near the city of Snohomish, Washington. Ancient volcanic activity created the ridgeline, which is actually a series of connected basalt outcroppings rising above the Snohomish River. Some of these outcroppings atop Lord Hill rise as high as 700'-800' in elevation. However, these highest points are located on private property. For the purposes of this Summitpost page, focus will be specifically given to the areas of Lord Hill located within Lord Hill Regional Park, which allows daily public access to some of the ridge's other highest points.
Temple Pond 1

Lord Hill Regional Park is considered by some people to be Snohomish County's answer to King County's Tiger Mountain State Forest. Although at an overall lower elevation than Tiger Mountain State Forest, Lord Hill Regional Park similarly offers miles of scenic, well-groomed trails full of dense forests and abundant wildlife, is not too far from major cities, and can be accessed throughout the year regardless of weather conditions. The forests on Lord Hill are comprised of red alder, Douglas fir, western hemlock, western red cedar, and grand fir. The wildlife on Lord Hill include small-sized animals (such as mice, shrews, squirrels, and garter snakes), medium-sized animals (beavers and skunks), and large-sized animals (deer and coyotes, with the occasional bears, cougars, and bobcats seen in the area).
Looking East...

The park has multiple points higher than 600' elevation, including the highest point being a scenic viewpoint with an estimated 656' elevation located on the western side of the park. But don't be deceived by the low elevations. Lord Hill Regional Park has over 11 miles of hiking trails covering 1456 acres of forests and wetlands. Filled with multiple hills, the park can reach elevations between 20' (at Snohomish River) and over 630' (multiple highpoints). It is easy to spend an entire day hiking the trails, reaching the various highpoints and lowpoints, and a person can easily reach thousands of feet of cumulative elevation gain when hiking throughout the area. The most scenic viewpoint on Lord Hill is a rocky outcropping in the middle of the park, at an estimated 630' elevation. From this outcropping it is possible to see the Olympic Mountains to the west, Mount Rainier to the south, and the Cascade Mountains found along the Highway 2 corridor (Snohomish County) to the west (which can be seen after walking along a short trail adjoining the main viewpoint location). Various maps and trail markers are in the park.

Getting There

FROM EVERETT, WASHINGTON:
Take the Snohomish-Wenatchee exit off of I-5 onto US2 in Everett to the second (east) Snohomish exit off US-2; turn right onto 2nd Ave. Turn left onto Lincoln Ave S, which becomes the Old Snohomish-Monroe Road. Turn right onto 127th Ave SE. Drive south approximately 2-1/4 miles. Turn left onto 150th St SE and proceed to the park entrance on the left.

FROM BOTHELL, WASHINGTON:
Take Highway 522 north, then take the W. Main exit (entering Monroe). From the roundabout, take the Old Snohomish Monroe Road exit heading west. Continue on Old Snohomish Monroe Road and turn left onto 127th Ave. NE. Drive south approximately 2-1/4 miles. Turn left onto 150th St SE and proceed to the park entrance on the left.

Red Tape

Lord Hill Regional Park is open dawn until dusk, daily, all year.

Pets are allowed, but must remain on-leash.

As a result of being a county park, fires, overnight camping, motorized vehicles, and alcoholic beverages are not allowed within the park.

External Links

Official Snohomish County Parks Department website for Lord Hill Regional Park

Friends of Lord Hill - A volunteer group dedicated to building and maintaining trails within Lord Hill Regional Park

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.