Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.32870°N / 105.1539°W
Additional Information County: Douglas
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8260 ft / 2518 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

See the main page for a general overview of the Noddle Head area.

South Noddle Head has an interpolated elevation of 8,260'. There are 2 survey pins on the summit area, so it is likely that there is an actual elevation somewhere in the USGS archives. There is a general elevation of 8,224' listed on the USGS Quad for the area, but it is not clear where that elevation is supposed to be (North or South Noddle?). We found no evidence of anyone ever being up on North Noddle, so any elevation there would have to have been triangulation, not actual surveying, unless they landed a helicopter on that small summit area (unlikely). There is a fine scrambling route up S. Noddle that is mostly 3rd-4th class, with one section that is about 5.2 with some serious exposure. A fall from the crux would likely be fatal. If you are not comfortable scrambling that type of terrain, a belay could be set up in that area with trad gear (there are no bolts).

Getting There

From Sedalia, head west on CO 67 until you get to Sprucewood, turn left (south), and drive about 3 miles +/ on the curvy road until you get to Trail 677 (ATV/motorcycle/etc.). You can take this, or drive another mile or so south and pull out to the right (west) on a forest road access (used for thinning) with a green gate. Hike west and then north on the path of least resistance, using old logging/thinning roads and eventually crossing TR 677, heading north until you hit the South Noddle (4th Noddle). You more or less walk along the ridgeline. This route, while a tiny bit winding, provides easy passage, mostly class 1, with minimal elevation gain/loss. Approximately 4 miles along this soft ridge to North Noddle. Expect 45 minutes minumum to get to S. Noddle, a bit longer to get to 1, 2, or 3rd Noddles.

Red Tape

None. The area is in National Forest.

There is no water available in the area - bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

There is an ATV/motorbike trail nearby, so you might encounter those folks now and again (however unlikely).

Please be extremely careful, as always, with campfires in this vulnerable area. So far, this area has remained out of the fire zones. Let's do our part to keep it that way.

Camping

The area is in N.F., so camping is permitted away from streams and roads. Also, there are TONS of camping areas along Rampart Range Road (within a 10 miles or so), should you feel the need to be surrounded by other campers.

External Links

South Noddle Head on LOJ


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Noddle HeadsMountains & Rocks