Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.78465°N / 121.08787°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5844 ft / 1781 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Lichtenberg Mountain stands majestically on the east shore of Lake Valhalla. Due to its proximity to Highway 2, in addition to the Pacific Crest Trail, Lake Valhalla is a fairly popular dayhike. With no trail to the summit, Lichtenberg is rarely climbed except in winter when snowfall makes skinning the northeast ridge fairly easy and straightforward.

Composed of rough granite and with north slopes of old growth forest, this area offers a little something for everyone. Lichtenberg has three very distinct routes- a gully scramble from the southwest, a northeast ridge that just screams "skin me in winter", and a grand west face.

With views of Lake Valhalla, as well as Glacier Peak, Mount Baker, and many other surrounding peaks, the view from the summit is worth the work. Stevens Pass ski area is also visible to the southwest.

Getting There

From Smithbrook Trailhead

From the west (Everett/Seattle): Travel SR 2 east 68.5 miles. Very soon after SR two separates, take a left on Smithbrook Road #6700. Be careful crossing the westbound lanes of SR 2! The Smithbrook trailhead is 2.7 miles up the road on the left hand side.

From the east (Wenatchee/Leavenworth): Travel SR 2 west, and turn right at about a half mile past milepost 69. The Smithbrook trailhead is 2.7 miles up the road on the left hand side.

From the trailhead, hike roughly one mile to a junction with the Pacific Crest Trail. At this intersection, take a left (south) and continue southwest for approximately two miles to Lake Valhalla.

Trailhead elevation 3,800 ft
Lake Valhalla elevation 4,830 ft
Lichtenberg Mountain summit elevation 5,844 ft
Travel time required: less than 90 minutes each way to the lake, 6-7 hours roundtrip to the summit at a leisurely pace.

From the Pacific Crest Trail at Stevens Pass

From the east or west: Make your way to Stevens Pass ski area, and park in the north lot, on the north side of SR 2. Find the road behind the green maintenance shed, which also happens to be the PCT heading north from Stevens Pass. Follow the PCT for approximately 6.5 miles to reach the lake.

Trailhead elevation 4,061 ft
Travel time required: 2 hours each way to the lake, most of a day for the entire climb.


For additional information, please reference the Labyrinth Mountain USGS quad map, or the Benchmark Mountain Green Trail map #144.

Winter considerations: Park at the turn off approximately 1/4 mile east of Smithbrook Rd. (It should be plowed.) At this point, you have one of two choices depending on the route you want to take: for the shortest route, begin ascending Smithbrook rd. At the first switchback in the road, continue straight into the woods. Find a spot to cross the creek, aim for Lichtenwasser lake, and ascend. If climbing Lichtenberg from the north, skin/shoe/snowslog 2.7 miles to the trailhead. At the bend in the road, where the traditional trail bears right, you instead want to bear left (towards the southwest). Most likely, you'll follow some ski tracks towards the west. Pick your route, and ascend.

A second option is to park at Yodelin, and ascend directly up to Lake Valhalla- definitely a winter/spring only option.

Red Tape

As is standard, a NW Forest Parking Pass is required at the trailhead. There are no facilities- so plan ahead.

Camping

Camping is permitted at Lake Valhalla, but campfires are strictly prohibited. There is a backcountry "toilet" near the lake.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.