Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.20636°N / 109.66497°W
Additional Information County: Fremont and Sublette
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 13494 ft / 4113 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bastion Peak, in the northern Wind River range, stands tenth highest among Wyoming peaks having a prominence of 300 feet or greater. The summit proper is less eye-catching than its craggy northeast buttress (13,470 feet above sea level), which cuts a striking figure from Grasshopper Glacier to the north (Photo 1) and from the upper reaches of Gannett Creek (Photo 2). A formidable, exposed ridge (Photo 3) separates the two summits.

Getting There

The approach to Bastion Peak requires several days' worth of wilderness travel in the northern Wind River Range. The shortest approaches to climbs east of the Continental Divide start from the Green River Lakes, Trail Lake, and Cold Springs trailheads. From the north, Grasshopper Glacier provides an easy approach. From the south, one can ascend Gannett Creek from the Glacier Trail. For information on how to reach Grasshopper Glacier or the Gannett Creek route, see Joe Kelsey’s refreshingly literate guidebook, Climbing and Hiking in the Wind River Mountains.

Red Tape

Bastion Peak is in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness of Shoshone National Forest. Wilderness regulations apply. No permits or fees are required in the wilderness. One of the shortest approaches is from the Cold Springs trailhead on the Wind River Indian Reservation. Getting to Cold Springs requires buying a tribal permit to cross the reservation and hiring an Indian outfitter.

Camping

Camp anywhere you can find a flat spot. On summit day you'll probably wake up above timberline, possibly on snow.

External Links

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=5346

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wind River RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
Wyoming 13ersMountains & Rocks