Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.40690°N / 120.9591°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6031 ft / 1838 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Koppen Mountain
 



Koppen Mountain located in the Teanaway Region in the Eastern Cascades is one of many wonderful viewpoints of this region. The 360 degree panoramic summit is home to spendid views of Mount Stuart, Mount Rainier, Hawkins Mountain, and many of the other mountains in the region. Often when the weather is sour in the western Cascades the weather is clearer and prettier on this side of the mountain.

Views from Koppen s summit
 
Koppen from trailhead
 


From the most direct route, the De Roux Creek trailhead right next to the horse stable and campground this mountain is roughly a 7.5 mile, 2300 feet elevation hike and is mostly a walkup. A fit hiker can usually summit this mountain in under 2 hours. The route that start with Trail 1392; which head up to Gallagher Lake is moderate walkup through a stream valley. About a mile into the hike it will run into the De Roux Creek Spur Trail 1392.1 which with veer left. Continue up this route as it switchbacks up to the top of the ridge, roughly another mile and almost 1000 feet of elevation gain to saddle in the ridge. There will be a well established bootpath at the top of the ridge that will then send you up alternating moderate and steeper pitches. Though there are no true scrambles on this section, some portion of this bootpath require some caution, especially when the trail bypasses an open area just above a steep sloping scree field. Because of this section of would classify the last bit as very borderline YDS 1/2. In winter or early spring the last section would definitely need to be proceeded will some care (an ice axe will be useful here).

Hawkins from Koppen
 
Views from Koppen s summit
 


As for views there are a number of places along the trail that hint the views here, but the summit is very worthwhile. Hundreds of mountain near and far come into view amd even marginal days here are well worth it. On the day I did this mountain it was raining heavily in the Western Cascades and here outside of some distant storms the views were beautiful.

Getting There

From via Route 970: Located between the town of Teanaway and Route 97 take Teanaway road north roughly ten miles to just past the 29 Pines camping area on your left. Once just past the 29 Pines camping area merge a right onto National Forest road 9737 and take it up roughly 10 miles all the way to the De Roux Creek Campground. This is officially 4 miles past the Beverly Park Campground. There will be a spur road on your left to the trailhead. It will be in the same area as the campground and very close to the horse stables.

Red Tape

Northwest Froest Pass is required here.

Camping

The De Roux Campground is good if you want to camp from the base. However you can also camp along other sections of the trail, just follow pack in pack out procedures. Koppen Mountain is relatively short and I wouldn't want to camp near the trails because the trails are traveled by horses who leave smelly reminders.

External Links

Here are some trip reports from the mountain.

Trip Report 1

Trip Report 2

Weather Conditions

Here are what the weather conditions would be from nearby Cle Elum.



alt="Click for Cle Elum, Washington Forecast" height=60 width=468>