Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.86230°N / 107.7802°W
Additional Information County: San Juan & San Miguel
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13661 ft / 4164 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

   
    Lookout Peak above Columbine Lake from the east

     At 13,661', Lookout Peak is among the highest 200 peaks in Colorado (known as the bicentennials). It is often remarked that Lookout Peak has a very fitting name as the views from the top extend far in every direction without obstruction. Although it is only three miles to a higher peak (U.S. Grant Peak), Lookout Peak's lineage follows the ridge divide of the Telluride section of the Sneffels Range all the way to the next higher peak, Gilpin Peak, 8.5 miles away, and over 12 miles away following the ridge. The saddle between Lookout Peak and U.S. Grant Peak at Ophir Pass is under 11,800', giving the south side of Lookout Peak nearly 1,900' of relief. This combined with the distance to its line parent, Lookout Peak stands out as a peak very much on its own despite a lack of literal topographic prominence. The northern side of the peak is near vertical in many places and the poor quality of rock in the area makes a ascent that stays entirely on the north side unreasonable. The book Colorado Scrambles by Dave Cooper has a section dedicated to this peak and provides some detail for the South Ridge Route.

Scenery


Views from Columbine Lake on the peak's north side




View south toward Ice Lakes Basin from Lookout Peak




View west from Lookout Peak toward San Joaquin Ridge and Silver Mountain B


Access and Camping

Ouray or Silverton make excellent access points for Ophir Pass, less than 20 miles from either town. My preference is the KOA just north of Ouray, but many options exist for primitive camping without fees in the area.

Ouray info: ouraycolorado.com

Telluride info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluride,_Colorado

Ridgway info: ridgwaycolorado.com

Parks and Camping:
Ouray Area Parks and Camping

Telluride Area Parks and Camping


View to the east from Lookout Peak

Weather and Conditions:
Current Conditions and Forecast

The San Juan Range in general and particularly the Ouray/Silverton area melts out late.
Current Snowpack

External Links

Statistical info on Lookout Peak: listsofjohn.com

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
seth@LOKI

seth@LOKI - Jul 7, 2015 10:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Range

North of Ophir Pass would be Sneffels Range?

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.