Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.82432°S / 69.80867°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 12093 ft / 3686 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

nice green slopes


Cruz de Caña is a hiking mountain in the Aconcagua Group.

For an aspirant of climbing Aconcagua it is a perfect mountain for the first acclimatization climb before entering the Aconcagua National Park. If you start your holiday from sea level or so, it is a reasonable tactic to stay two nights at the still moderate height of the Horocones valley – for example at Penitentes ski station.

For this full day there you may climb as high as you feel comfortable without getting a headache or becoming too exhausted. Therefore Cruz de Caña with its 1100m ascent is reasonable goal – and a nice one in beautiful landscape. It is nearby the Penitentes ski facilities but does not touch them.

Getting There

PenitentesPenitentes (2580m)

Penitentes is at the main road from Mendoza to Santiago de Chile, 7 km east of Puente del Inca.

Normal route

overview picroute in red


From Penitentes (2580m) first walk some meters along the main road in direction to Mendoza until you have passed the creek. After some meters leave the dirt road and gain the grassy ridge to your left. A track of footprints shows that you have found the right route. Follow this ridge – sometimes steep - until it ends at a plateau at app. 3120m. Nice and easy hiking from here. Follow the grassy slopes further on (one steeper section) and head for the ridge that connects Cruz de Caña to Cerro Mario Ardito on the right. Actually there is no ridge but a broad slope. There you see footprints again on the slopes that lead to the summit interrupted by a short rocky section where you may need your hands for some meters.

3 to 4 h for the ascent, depending on fitness and acclimatization status.

Descent on the same route. Some nice short cuts possible in soft scree at the upper parts where there is no vegatation.

map sketch

map sketch

Gear

snow shower comingsnow shower coming


normal hiking gear is sufficient. Walking poles are recommended for those who are used to it. If it is hot in the Horocones valley be aware that it might become cold and very windy in the upper parts. We started our climb at fine weather but witnessed a short snow shower. That was not so fine for those that walked with short trousers.

Red Tape

still flowers
nice flowers


No Red Tape as I know because the mountain is outside of the Aconcagua National Park.

When to climb

In the times of the year when you can climb Aconcagua you can also climb Cruz de Caña.

The slopes of the mountain would make it an interesting ski tour. As the ski lifts of Penitentes are just nearby, snow amount and climate in winter time should also fit. Probably you can do a "ski plus" with using the lifts for shortening the ascent.

Accomodation

Hotel Ayelen


We stayed at Hotel Ayelen in Penitentes that I can recommend.

Camping

A campyard is at Puente del Inca, 7 km from Penitentes

some normal route pictures

road walkroad walk
climbing in linegrassy ridge
gentle slopesgentle slopes
upmost greenupmost green
hiking on screehiking in scree
last meterslast meters

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
poice2004

poice2004 - Sep 5, 2008 1:24 pm - Voted 10/10

With Ñ

Cruz de Caña with "Ñ" "Puente del Inca" like a bridge not Punte Very nice page.

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Sep 5, 2008 1:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: With Ñ

thanks for your comment! I'll correct Puente del Inca. I've read about the sign above the "N" - but I cannot produce this with my German keyboard. Is there a correct replacement with international keyboards possible (like the german "ä" can be replaced by "ae")?

poice2004

poice2004 - Sep 5, 2008 2:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Try

alt + 164 or alt + 165

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Sep 5, 2008 5:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Try

did not work - but here I found the solution, fixed the text and two dozen picture captions. I hope everything is okay now! Can you tell me, what the name of the mountain means translated to English? Would be nice to mention on the page!

poice2004

poice2004 - Sep 6, 2008 12:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Try

Cruz de Caña more or less #Cane Cross"

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Aconcagua GroupMountains & Rocks