Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.61113°N / 106.34381°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13132 ft / 4003 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Northeast Face
The closer peak is Sewanee (northeastern face)

Sewanee is a jagged peak that rises in the Sawatch Mountains of Central Colorado near the town of Buena Vista. Walls and steep rocky slopes surround Sewanee on all sides. Although lower than some of its neighbors, rugged appearance gives Sewanee much prominence among the local peaks.


Near Chalk Creek Pass
 
West Face
West face of Sewanee from Lower Hancock Lake
Hancock Pass Rd
 

The 12150 ft Chalk Creek Pass separates Sewanee from the 13369 ft Monumental Peak to the southeast. Chalk Creek Pass forms the headwaters of Chalk Creek, a beautiful valley that traverses the width of the Sawatch Mountains and at its lower end separates the Fourteeners Mt. Princeton from Mt. Antero as it drains into the valley of the Arkansas River. The Upper and Lower Hancock Lakes (11740 and 11660 ft) sit directly to the north of Chalk Creek Pass.


Alpine Tundra
Alpine Tundra
Upper Hancock Lake
Upper Lake
Lower Hancock Lake
Lower Lake

Alpine Tundra
Alpine Tundra

 
Trailhead
Sewanee
 
From Road
Sewanee

To the north, Sewanee is connected to the 13151 ft Pomeroy Mountain. On the east side of Sewanee, you will find a picturesque basin that houses several lakes including the North Fork Reservoir, Billings Lake and Island Lake.

Despite its intimidating appearance, Sewanee can be climbed via a non-technical route. From the ghost town of Hancock in the upper parts of the Chalk Creek Valley, you can hike past the Hancock Lakes to reach the chalk Creek Pass. Climbing a very steep rocky slope will get you to the top.


Steep
Steep
Steep
Steep

From Chalk Creek Pass
From Chalk Creek Pass

From the narrow summit of Sewanee, much of the local mountains will be in good view.

Views from the summit of Sewanee:






Monumental
Monumental
Van Wirt
Van Wirt
Peak 13102 ft
Peak 13102
N/NW
Looking N/NW








North Fork Reservoir
North Fork Reservoir
Aetna
Aetna
Grizzly
Grizzly
Southern Slopes
Pomeroy


Getting There

Directions to the ghost town of Hancock:

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive this road 15.3 miles to just before the ghost town of St. Elmo (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a well graded dirt road).

Turn left onto Route 295. This road is rougher but is still passable by most/any car. Continue 2.7 miles until you see a detour around an old decaying railroad bridge (The detour is rather steep and the road beyond it is much rougher. I did not need to use 4 wheel drive but I will probably not drive this road in anything less than an SUV). Continue another 2.8 miles to the remains of the old mining town of Hancock.

Red Tape

No fees or permits needed for hiking. For other regulations see the official site for San Isabel National Forest.

Weather

See the forecast for the town of Buena Vista, CO.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.