Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.51272°N / 69.76241°W
Additional Information County: Piscataquis
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Ice Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2367 ft / 721 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Eagle Rock is the Moosehead Lake regions best kept secret. One must look real hard on the north west ridge of Big Moose Mountain to notice the rock. Even folks who have traveled to region for fifty years are unaware of the rock, and its most fascinating 360 degree view. The hike is by no means difficult, but the rock itself shows evidence that it has been used for rock climbing and poses a moderate challenge. To the northeast are the Spencer Mountains, east of them is the Katahdin Group, and further east rise Number Four mountain, Lily Bay Mountain, Baker Mountain, and White Cap Mountain as well as other subsidiary peaks. Sugarloaf mountain and Bigelow mountain dominate the southwest Horizon, while Moosehead Lake can be viewed in much of its entirety.
Eagle Rock from Lily Bay

Trail

A mid-trail ladder
The path to the rock summit climbs at a moderate pace through mixed forest for much of the assent, approximately 1.7 miles. The trail gains 1000 feet and can be somewhat steep in places, though there are a few switchbacks which make for easy going.

Getting There

The Trailhead
From Portland take 1-95 to the Newport exit 157, take a left onto ME-7, another left on to ME-23, left again onto ME-15/ ME-16/ ME-6, and follow through Monson to Greenville. Turn left at the blinking light in Greenville following ME/15 ME-6. Once you have passed Squaw Mountain Ski resort look for the Burnham Pond road a fews mile down on the left. This is a dirt road and can be rough. At the Intersection take another left and follow for 1.2 miles. The trail head is once again on the left marked with pink and blue flagging tape. 3 hours and six lefts later, you are there.

Camping

View Towards Lily Bay
There are no designated campsites however there are multiple campgrounds, like Lily Bay State Park, in the area.

Red Tape

The trailhead is located on a dirt logging road. Be cautious of lumber trucks and be sure to yield to them.

Rock and Mountain Conditions

The rock projects itself well above the surrounding landscape and can be windy, one wrong step could send you plummeting down a cliff at least 100 feet down in some cases. Other than the normal precautions. and elements the hike is relatively easy and rewarding.
One of the Drop-Offs



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
injektilo

injektilo - Jul 9, 2016 9:36 am - Voted 10/10

New Trail

There is a new trail on Eagle Rock. The directions below were lifted from the Moosehead Pinnacle Pursuit's trail guide for the Moosehead Lake Region. They have the trail listed as 6.3 miles round trip with 897 vertical. An actual sign near the summit indicates that the distance is closer to 7.4 miles round trip. I also think they didn't account for around 300 feet of climbing you have to do on the way back out so total climb is closer to 1100 feet. A very nice trail though. Thought you might want to up date the getting there section... From the blinking light in the center of Greenville travel north 5.1 miles on Route 6/15. Turn onto the North Road (a dirt road) marked by a sign for Maine Public Reserve Lands – Little Moose Unit. At 8.7 miles turn onto the East Moore Bog Road. At 10.1 miles you will see a gravel parking lot on the right.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1