Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.91595°N / 121.06177°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6015 ft / 1833 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Poe MountainWenatchee Ridge

Poe Mountain is the most popular summit destination along Wenatchee Ridge, located on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains in Washington State. Wenatchee Ridge is nicknamed “Poet Ridge”, as its named peaks are named after famous poets. The other named peaks of the ridge are Whittier Peak, Bryant Peak, Longfellow Mountain, and Irving Peak.
Poe MountainPoe Mountain Summit

Containing an open area and far-reaching views, the summit was once home to a lookout built in the 1930s. Now long since vanished, few remnants of the lookout remain at the mountaintop. However, scenic views of the Wenatchee Mountains, Glacier Peak, Mount Stuart, and Mount Rainier remain.
Poe MountainSummit Trail

Two main routes lead to Poe Mountain, each approximately equal distance. One route, Poe Mountain Trail #1520, is the officially designated and most maintained route for Poe Mountain, steeply climbing up the western side of the mountain from its trailhead (3000’ elevation) but offering limited viewpoints. The other route, which combines Irving Pass Trail #1545 and Little Wenatchee Ridge Trail #1543, is a less maintained route for Poe Mountain, despite starting at a higher elevation (4200’) than the other route and offering many more viewpoints. After approximately three miles, both routes intersect each other at the junction for the Poe Mountain summit trail. The summit trail is only approximately ¼-mile long, steeply circling around the upper slope to the summit (6015’ elevation).

Getting There

NOTE: This mountain is found on Green Trails Map #144.

Driving Directions to Irving Pass Trailhead (Trail #1545), westbound from Leavenworth:

1) From Leavenworth, follow Highway 2 westbound for 15.3 miles to Highway 207 (approximately MilePost 84.7).
2) Head north (right) on Highway 207.
3) After 11.5 miles, continue straight through a gate. This is the beginning of Forest Road 65 (FR-6500). An “End of County Road” sign is located at the gate.
4) After 7.0 miles, turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. This is the beginning of FR-6504.*
5) Follow FR-6504 for 6.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
*NOTE: An alternate route to FR-6504 is to continue on FR-6500 for 3.8 miles beyond the first FR-6504 turnoff, to where the pavement ends, and then turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. After 1.3 miles, the road meets FR-6504 at a “T” intersection. Turn left onto FR-6504 and follow 3.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
------------

Driving Directions to Irving Pass Trailhead (Trail #1545), eastbound from Stevens Pass:

1) From Stevens Pass, follow Highway 2 eastbound for 4.0 miles (approximately MilePost 68.6).
2) Turn left and cross the (divided) highway onto Forest Road 67 (FR-6700).
3) Follow FR-6700 for 12.6 miles to its end, at the intersection with FR-6500.
4) Turn left onto FR-6500.
5) After 2.3 miles, turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. This is the beginning of FR-6504.*
6) Follow FR-6504 for 6.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
*NOTE: An alternate route to FR-6504 is to continue on FR-6500 for 3.8 miles beyond the first FR-6504 turnoff, to where the pavement ends, and then turn right onto an unpaved/ unmarked road. After 1.3 miles, the road meets FR-6504 at a “T” intersection. Turn left onto FR-6504 and follow 3.1 miles to the trailhead/ end of the road.
------------

Driving Directions to Poe Mountain Trailhead (Trail #1520), westbound from Leavenworth:

1) From Leavenworth, follow Highway 2 westbound for approximately 15.3 miles to Highway 207 (approximately MilePost 84.7).
2) Head north (right) on Highway 207.
3) After 11.5 miles, continue straight through a gate. This is the beginning of Forest Road 65 (FR-6500). An “End of County Road” sign is located at the gate.
4) After 13.5 miles, FR-6500 ends at the parking lot for Little Wenatchee Ford Campground, Little Wenatchee Trail #1525, and Poe Mountain Trail #1520.
------------

Driving Directions to Poe Mountain Trailhead (Trail #1520), eastbound from Stevens Pass:

1) From Stevens Pass, follow Highway 2 eastbound for 4.0 miles (approximately MilePost 68.6).
2) Turn left and cross the (divided) highway onto Forest Road 67 (FR-6700).
3) Follow FR-6700 for 12.6 miles to its end, at the intersection with FR-6500.
4) Turn left onto FR-6500.
5) After 6.5 miles, FR-6500 ends at the parking lot for Little Wenatchee Ford Campground, Little Wenatchee Trail #1525, and Poe Mountain Trail #1520.

Red Tape

A Northwest Forest Pass is required if parking a vehicle at or near one of the forementioned trailheads. A single-day Northwest Forest Pass costs $5, while an annual Northwest Forest Pass costs $30. Northwest Forest Passes can be purchased from ranger stations or REI stores (as well as many other outdoor recreation stores) within Washington State.

Camping

Poe Mountain is located within Glacier Peak Wilderness. As such, camping is only allowed in locations specifically marked or provided.

At least one person must occupy a camping area during the first night after camping equipment has been set up, unless permission has otherwise been granted by the Forest Ranger.

Camping equipment cannot be left unattended for more than 24 hours without permission by a Forest Ranger. Remove all personal property and trash when leaving.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.